New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speer Mag tip and Deep Shok
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I read some old posts about the speer Deep Shok bullets. What is the difference between them and the mag tip?

Posts: 184 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
The Mag-Tip is a semi-spitzer design, basically a heavy-jacketed Hot Cor bullet. With a wider meplat, it is best for shooting at close-medium range.

The Deep-Shok is a spitzer boat tail, but uses the Hor Cor process to help hold the core/jacket together. This is what differs it from regular Speer boat-tails. Weight retention is supposed to be higher.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to disagree with Tod slightly. The Mag-tip is just fine for longer shooting, too.
The Deep-shok is as Tod described, but with one important addition. Ut has a large pear-shped lead base that locks the core to the jacket, PLUS it is hot-core. One TOUGH bullet, I'm told.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to disagree with Tod slightly. The Mag-tip is just fine for longer shooting, too.
The Deep-shok is as Tod described, but with one important addition. It has a large pear-shaped lead base that locks the core to the jacket, PLUS it is hot-core. One TOUGH bullet, I'm told.

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
Johnny Ringo,

When I said that it is best for close-medium range, I meant that there are better bullets for long range shooting. The Mag-Tips aren't overly aerodynamic, so their velocity drops off quicker as the distances grow past 200 yards. The Deep Shok would be a much better choice, due to it's sleek ogive and boat tail.

Here are some downrange numbers, with 7mm Mag 160 gr. bullets, Mag-Tips & Deep Shoks.

300 y - 2271 fps / 1833 ft-lbs for the Mag-Tip
2522 fps / 2260 ft-lbs for the Deep Shok

These #'s are based on a MZ vel. of 3000 fps, and I used the B.C. for the 160 gr. Speer Boat Tail for the Deep Shok. They should be quite similar.

P.S., has anybody heard or read the B.C. numbers for the new Deep Shok bullets?

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johnny has got it right.

The two are completely different bullets.

Mag Tips are great, and I like them better than Grand Slams, and they are cheaper too.

Deep Shoks, retain weight very well, and shoot great groups too.

Now we just need Speer to get them back into production. Talk and advertising is cheap, but they have not produced much yet.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I wondered about this becuase the Deep Shok bullets are in the current Graf (http://www.grafs.com/) catalog. I think I will stick with the mag tips.

Posts: 184 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Sniper>
posted
I like the Speer Mag Tips. I loaded some for my 7 Rem Mag last year, 160 grains, they performed very well in the field.

This year I loaded 150 grainers for my 300 Win Mag and 180 grainers for the 300 RUM. These all have grouped very well for me..under an inch at 100 yards consistently.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I spoke with Speer custome service last week. They said thaty it would be some time in 2003 before the " Deep Shok " bullet would be on the market. I have had some on back order at Midsouth for a long time.