New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beam Scales to Cross Check Digital
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I flipped through the posts with the search function but couldn't find a definitive solution to my situation.

I am currently using the RCBS scale/dispenser combo and like it a lot. What I would really like to have is a good quality, magnetically dampened, highly accurate (prefer less than .1 grain resolution if possible) beam scale that I can use to occassionaly cross-check my digital.

Assuming money is no object (it is but play along) which beam scale would you recommend for my purpose? I've read somewhere that the RCBS 1010 is difficult to use.

If anyone has the time or inclination to offer some suggestions based on experience I would really appreciate it. I'm also considering the RCBS calibration weight set to keep tabs on my digital and my 'new' beam scale.

Thanks in advance and I really appreciate your feedback in terms of which scale and why...

Cheers,
XWind

Posts: 203 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's no reason that the RCBS scale should be "hard to use". But if you are going to invest in a set of check weights, it would seem that you wouldn't need both a balance beam scale AND check weights just to assure that your electronic scale is functioning properly.

As an old dog who is resistant to the learning of new tricks, I've tried electronic scales but prefer my old balance beam.

However, lots of folks have converted to electronics, so there are alot of perfectly good balance beams available at places such as eBay for a relative song. If I needed a balance beam, that's where I'd look first.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have access to a good scale you could certainly make your own series of check weights. After all, you're not trying to adhere to regulations. If you do have access you can select a few items such as stainless steel screws, etc., over the series of weights you're interested in, weigh them on the good scale, record those weights, and then use as check weights on your scale.

Electronic scales do go out of calibration but it's not common. One of the quickest checks is simply to weigh a bullet that is of somewhat known weight.

Otherwise, you can probably find a beam scale at a gun show for relatively little money.

I know that one of my shooting buddies uses an OLD swinging beam scale, i.e, not magnetically dampened, and believes it to be more precise than electronic scales. I believe it was made by Redding but it's very old.

If I were you I wouldn't get caught up in verifying performance between your scale and whatever beam scale you may find but simply find some check weights to verify approximate performance of your electronic scale.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Agree with Stonecreek, except in the ultimate use of which scale. When I went over to the digitals I had extreme reservations because of all I heard. I originally acquired a scientific scale accurate to .00g. I double checked everything on an RCBS 10-10. Never found a problem or discrepancy. Then I acquired a Pact with the trickler system, principally for rapidity and to double check the scientific. I again never found a problem, except in the delay in double weighing charges. After a couple of years I found the easiest way to check things is with check weights, that is if you don't want to check and know the weights of your pans and calibration weights. They make excellent check weights. There are all sorts of ways to double check your scales, the check weights being the most accurate. I have yet to find any discrepancy in any digital. It's just a matter of gaining confidence and knowing the easy way to verify weights if you have a question. I sold my 10-10 a couple of years ago and have only a 5-0-5 which is almost unused. No need to.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

I have and use regularly the RCBS 10-10 scale and find it no more difficult to use than a good micrometer; however, I do know of a gentleman in a neighboring community who has blown up two rifles from NOT being able to read the scale. I watched him get expert training on that scale himself, but he just could not get it!!!!

Now to the accuracy question, if money were no object..... go with the Redding, simply because it is accurate on its approach to center weights.

I have used RCBS, Herters, C&H, Lee, Lyman, Redding, Pact, and even two home-made scales. The Redding is by far the easiest with which to be certain of your accuracy.

Shoot straight.

Coach

Posts: 114 | Location: near Abilene, Texas | Registered: 04 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I looked into digital scales , but decided against one as I like the assurance of a beam scale. Since my pistols are loaded by volume with either a Lee Safety disk or, for big bores, an Old Pacific drum measure or Lyman 55, I check the throw several times, and then load. For rifles, I use a Lyman Autoscale for all of my extruded powders [H4198, N160, etc.] and a power trickler and a Hornady balance beam for all ball powders [like BLC[2]]. I like the Lyman Autoscale due to the fact that it uses optical sensors to determine the balance position of the poise, and is essentially an automatic powder dispenser based upon a balance beam scale. No matter how many times you check a digital scale, when 'yer loadin' 58 grains of H4198 under a 500 grain FMJ in a 458 Win mag, it only has to lie to you ONCE![Or 41 grains of H4198 under a 440grain in a 45/70 for an 1895 Marlin!] The only drawback of the Lyman Autoscale is that it will not work with ball powders, as they clog up the feed tube drivers.

My Nickle

[ 01-21-2003, 01:29: Message edited by: Doubltap ]

Posts: 2 | Location: Topeka, Kansas | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the ideas folks. I think I have spent too many years troubleshooting electronic systems and I tend to question/doubt everything. For example, how do I know if the check weights are accurate? Is there a standard they are held to? Unless they are signed off by ANSI, I in the back of my head, wonder about them. But then I've seen devices signed off by the highest reigning authority (including ANSI) that were out of tolerance. I once thought that beam scales were inherently more accurate than other types, but they are only as accurate as the tolerance of the sliding weights, the distance between detents etc.

Enough boring you with my inherent suspicion of anything based on the meticulous requirements of my particular trade. I think I may get a set of check weights and move on to other things like; are my dies concentric, my powder too temperature sensitive and all the other bunny trails (industry term [Razz] ) I can run down while I'm waiting to head back to the range.

Thanks to all for your assistance and happy shooting.

XWind

[ 01-21-2003, 02:20: Message edited by: XWind ]

Posts: 203 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To Bob 338, and any other that thinks a digital scale won't lie to you, How about me selling you a bridge?? To say that they are as accurate as, or as reliable as, a good beam scale is simply ludicrous. Maybe close enough, but not as accurate.

Most beam scales built for reloaders, and I repeat Most, are built by the Ohaus Scale Co. and are very accurate, regardless of who's name might be on them. EG. RCBS, Lyman, Redding, Hornady, Etc.. Do not include Lee in there. Their's is absolute junk. The very best scale I ever saw, was an Ohaus built scale that RCBS sold as their #304 scale. This was a double beam scale, that was dial set and had a capacity of 1000 grains. It was superbly accurate, and also expensive. The last time I saw them offered, I think they were priced at something like $235, but worth every penny of it. Digital scales have their place, but you must watch them very closely. The slightest thing will effect their calibration, and so their accuracy.

Regards, DLM [Razz]

Posts: 26 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLM:

Do not include Lee in there. Their's is absolute junk.
[Razz]

With a 100 grain capacity, they only have to hold 1/5 the tolerance of a 500 grain scale.

They do take advantage of reduceing the capacity to get very good sensitiveity.

I find reading it is very easy and by locking the slideing poise you don't have to worry about the weights being bumped or the setting being off.

I guess that's why the lee is on my bench and the RCBS is on the shelf, out of the way.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Martindog>
posted
What JerryO said. I've got a Pact BBK, a Lee Safety scale and RCBS check weights. When both scales are claibrated according to directions, they are dead on against the check weights.

Martindog

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Pact digital scale to weigh my initial powder throw. I then use a old Lyman balance beam to measure the final charge.

I have found that the digital is more difficult to regulate and hold a weight that a balance beam; however, it is quicker for a rough approximation.

The balance beam is harder to get out of wack that a digital. It will weigh to less than a tenth. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
The biggest danger with electronic scales I think is getting the charge weight wrong in your head, especially when loading different charge weights in a single session.

Load the lower weights first. 4x, load the 34gr loads before the 43gr loads. That way, if you go on auto-pilot you are more likely to throw the lower weight (even that can be dangerous).

But this precaution does not guard against simply transposing of numbers and weighing the wrong weight.

I write the charge on a piece of masking tape and place it right above the readout.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry O and Martin Dog,

Alright already. If you guys like the Lee scale, fine be my guest. I've thrown two of them away that you certainly could have had for the asking.

All I can say is your experience with them is not like mine, and I have used every kind there is, I think, over the past 50 some odd years.

Once you get them set, they will do ok, but getting them set correctly is another story. You need another scale to check the Lee setting every time you change it, or you take a chance on it being incorrect. Just not my cup of tea.

DLM [Razz]

Posts: 26 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote