New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee's latest reload manual
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am sure everyone else has brought this up...

But for the first time yesterday, I actually looked at the latest Lee Reload Manual...

I have ignored it, as I just thought it was going to be a new cover on their old one....

Was I pleasantly impressed...

While I haven't seen anything NEW to add to my reloading library in a long time... this new Lee Manual is pretty impressive...

The one I saw belonged to a friend at a small gunshop..

however, I have definitely got one on the horizon...

Lee gets kudos for a darn good job on this one...

Between Hodgdon # 26, Lyman's # 47, and Sierra's Number 5, I have about 99.9 % of my load data references I ever need...Nosler gets honorable mention.. but it isn't as complete as the others above...

But I look forward to adding this Lee Manual to the Library...If you haven't picked one up and looked at it, I would advise doing so...darn good job LEE!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Great info, thanks. I use the internet as my reloading manual but want to buy some real ones. I will go with your list and the Lee since I load on Lee gear and understand they list loads in reference both their dippers and disk sizes. Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Seafire, thank you... loading manuals are my third great passion!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
CoolJohn,what Edition are you talking about? I've used the second edition since 2003? beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What does the new one look like. MY newest one has a photo of their collet size die on the front. Is there a newer one ?

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I have the Modern Reloading Second Add. is their a new one if so please email me @ rog257rob@yahoo.com I thought I ha dthe latest add. thanks roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing that's nice about their new manual is that they include case volume for each cartride. This has been handy for me when comparing cartridges, loads, etc.

Posts: 247 | Location: Oz | Registered: 19 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I have had the Lee 2nd for some time now and was a bit disapointed. I found it to be nothing more then a advertisement for Lees tooling and a copy of the various powder manufactures previously published data. I felt like I paid for a Lee cataloge and Hodgdons free pamphlet. Frowner

I do see where having a large load data compilation available in a single source is handy but that`s about all.

JMHO...

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Can anyone tell me if the French powders are included in the new Lee manual? Rifle powders are Tubal (2000, 3000, 5000, 7000 and 8000) and pistol powders are Vectan A0, A1, AS, BA 10, BA9 and SP2. At least that covers most of the possibilities. I ask because in the older Lee manual there are some references to the old French powders.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
cheersFrom what I see on the LEE web site the second edition is the latest. Since it seems that Richard Lee chose to copy everyone elses data it really does make a handy one source reference. Although I have a plethora of manuals the Lee is the one I keep by the computers for ready references. BOOM leftyroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
I buy EVERY edition of the Speer´s reloading book.

Every SECOND edition of the others! No Barnes.

I have the LEE No 1, heard that No 2 is "the same". Is there a No 3 out?

I am VERY willing to buy it!

I also have the tick never to throw away any reloading manual. Have some old ones. Enjoy sometimes looking through them!

H

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 2nd Edition is the latest listed on the Lee web site.

Wink, it does list Noble Sport Vectan powders.

http://leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?11747713.../catalog/bookpg.html

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee #2 has some great info for cast bullet shooters. Other than that, it's just a handy single source for a lot of data.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:

Lee gets kudos for a darn good job on this one...

Between Hodgdon # 26, Lyman's # 47, and Sierra's Number 5, I have about 99.9 % of my load data references I ever need...Nosler gets honorable mention.. but it isn't as complete as the others above...

But I look forward to adding this Lee Manual to the Library...If you haven't picked one up and looked at it, I would advise doing so...darn good job LEE!

I realize this is a little off-topic, but which are the "best" reloading manuals? I currently have Nosler #4, Lyman #47, Hornday #4 and an old Speer manual, and I'm wondering if any of ther other manuals offer anything I'm missing!

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by belaw:
I realize this is a little off-topic, but which are the "best" reloading manuals? I currently have Nosler #4, Lyman #47, Hornday #4 and an old Speer manual, and I'm wondering if any of ther other manuals offer anything I'm missing!

If you are not there yet there will come a point in time that you realize that loading manuals are not cook books filled with exact recipes.They usually contain data that has been collected with a certain rifle, and a plethora of other variables. They are a not percise loading information source and as such should be used with some discression. The LEE presents you with a collection from many sources and for that reason is rather the handiest to me. beerroger

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
I just picked this one up a few weeks ago, and was surprised also. There's lots of good stuff in it, and it was cheap (mine was $12.99 new at the store). You really can't go wrong. I especially like how all the different powder company load data is organized by velocity for a given bullet.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both Lee's #1 and #2. I think they both have good data at a great price. For me the real jewel has been lee's method of choosing powders for and predicting velocities of reduced loads....no other manuals have dealt with that area as well.

But then, I collect most manuals....

cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Lee 2nd edition as well

One of Us
Picture of SC_Gunner
posted Hide Post
I bought the Lee Reloader Pack from Midway, which consisted of the latest Lee manual and one of their little "reloader" C-Frame presses. The book is filled with load data, and the little press is really handy for de-priming (with a little ingenuity to make a spent primer catcher) and seating primers using the Auto Prime II. ~Marc

Posts: 46 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 29 January 2007Reply With Quote