New
Find
Notify
Tools

Resizing w/o expander die
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been having problems withdrawing the "expander" die through the neck of my 300HH die. I have started to use my military primer punch to take out the primers, and then resizing the brass.

It seems to work OK. Has anyone had problems doing this? Ku-dude

posted Hide Post
Ku-dude,
I've had this happen with some .223 milspec cases. I think the necks are too thick and when the case neck is resized, the inside diameter (case mouth) is too small to allow the expander ball to pass through easily.
You could turn necks just a little bit to eliminate this problem, or just toss that case.
The expander ball rounds the case mouth on the way out, so removing it may leave your case mouths in an 'out of round' condition.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I process all my cases on my Dillons and do the steps seperatly. I use a decap only die in the first station, I size at the second station (expander removed from the sizing die) and then I use a Lyman M expander die to expand the neck. It is so much easier and I think it helps keep the brass from needing to be trimmed so often.
I probably wouldn't do this if I had to do it on a single stage press.

Posts: 84 | Location: Southeast AZ | Registered: 25 November 2000Reply With Quote
<5-shot>
posted
ku,
I've had a problem at times that with 4 to 6 reloads that the brass from the sholuder of the case flowed into the neck of a previously neck turned case. The expander would pull the shoulder forward just enough to make closing the action very tight. Since the bullets which i was using were not seated that deep, a inside neck reamer took care of the problem.

Hope this helps Bill C.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck the expander ball up in a drill press and take off a couple of thousands with a file, and polish with 220 and 400 grit backed on the file...I do this on many of my dies as they do have a tendency to be over size, for a one size fits all...I don't recommend the use of neck reaming (out or in) in factory chambers as they too or oversize so one size fits all....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been switching over to bushing style dies to alleviate this problem. However no one currently makes one for the .300H&H! When forced to use an expander plug I have found that the floating carbide plugs seem to work the best. I believe these are made by Redding and can be retrofitted to most dies.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote