Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for help with a ballistics chart
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Fellas,
I wrote here earlier about choosing between handloads and factory ammo, and recieved alot of great advice.
I have decided on using Federal Premium loads in my 7mmRemMag, using the 160gr Accubonds.
I would like to print-out a ballistics chart for this load, showing velocity, and drop in 50 yard incriments. I looked at Federal's charts, but they are in 100 yard incriments, and also using a 24" test barrel...mine is 26". I think I will pick-up at least 50fps with the 26" barrel, putting the muzzle velocity at approx 3,000fps.
I will use a 200 yard zero.
Do any of you know where I can buy or get the chart that I am looking for, with this additional info? Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Download the free PointBlank at www.huntingnut.com

Enter the ballistic coeffient from Noslers site and your velocity and zero.

The program is adjustable for increments of yardage.

I print a copy and put it with each box of ammo and carry it in my pocket if the range might exceed 250 yds for a CF.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I looked at Federal's charts, but they are in 100 yard incriments, and also using a 24" test barrel...mine is 26". I think I will pick-up at least 50fps with the 26" barrel, putting the muzzle velocity at approx 3,000fps

Depending on the chamber,throat length etc,you might gain more velocity or you might actually produce less than the federal data.Also your scope crosshairs must be exactly the same height above the bore as those used in the chart.Even if the velocity and scope height are identical to those used in the chart you could be out a few inches at longer distances.If you estimate the scope height and velocity there could be several inches difference.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Wolfgar, Your assumption is the same one a lot of people make, but it just doesn't work.

The only way to create an accurate Drop Chart is to shoot the specific rifle and specific cartridge at the distances you want to attempt shots.

The good news is, the Federal info will be close enough to get you "on to a Target" so you are not just shooting blind.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Call the Sierra bullets tollfree hotline. Ask them if their exterior ballistics software Infinity5 will do what you want. I think it will.

Also Ballistic Explorer from Dexadine works well. It is used by Oehler Research.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Savage99:
Download the free PointBlank at www.huntingnut.com

Enter the ballistic coeffient from Noslers site and your velocity and zero.

The program is adjustable for increments of yardage. QUOTE]

Savage99 is right on here I've used this free program for years. I also have Sierra's Infinity 5 I don't see much of a advantage and point blank is free.

Now you just need to run that load over a chrongraf to make sure of the MV and you'll be as close as it gets.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
<cobra44>
posted
Wolfgar I have played with this chart for some time and checked agianst factory loads to compare ballistics and found it to be pretty close.

http://www.biggameinfo.com/BalCalc.aspx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to thank you all for your advice. I downloaded the charts, and it was just what I was looking for!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote