New
Find
Notify
Tools

357 max brass- Where to find??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just got a mint 99% Dan Wesson SS 8 inch supermax in 357 max. Nice old Monson gun.I see that brass for this use to cost $19 a hundred at Natchez.Now it is $90 fr $100 on gunbroker. Anyone know of a decent source that might have a bag in stock?

Posts: 498 | Location: Seacoast NH | Registered: 01 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
To be honest with you I buy factory loaded ammo to get my brass for the maximum. With pressures closing in on 50000 I don't want a bag that may or may not be "once fired". I have found bags of brass that were about 1/4 unusable.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Just keep checking the usual suspects and sooner or later they will get some in stock. In the mean time you can enjoy 357Mag loads. tu2

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Does Starline brass make it?

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the info. Starline does not make it.
I found some used brass from a forum member who I have bought good brass from before. It looks fine.
Also found 5 boxes of 357 max ammo factory marked (boxes stamped) Remington Experimental. Seller said he thought it was downloaded 5 grains to reduce strap damage to the gun.

Posts: 498 | Location: Seacoast NH | Registered: 01 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huntington has it in bags of 250. Or shall I say they did about 2 months ago.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't worry about the erosion of the top strap on the Ruger Blackhawk, it only goes so deep and stops. I shot mine in competition for years without any problems from the little erosion that occurred. The erosion debate was pure bunkum from gun writers and Elgin Gates who had recommended a 1/8" longer cylinder to Bill Ruger, but Ruger decided otherwise. My favorite load was the Sierra 170 grain Silhouette Tournament Master over W-680 powder. Winchester 680 surpassed all other powders for accuracy, delivering 3/4" 50 yard 10 shot groups with the factory sights. Today, Accurate Arms 1680 powder can be substituted. With that bullet Accurate Arms recommends 22.2 grains of AAC-1680 (1594 fps) to 24.6 grains AAC-1680 (1768 fps) in a 10" barrel. Alternatively I used the 180 grain Sierra bullet, but for hunting the Hornady 180 grain HP XTP or Barnes .357" 140 grain XPB bullets would be good choices. Grafs offers both Jamison and Remington brass for the Maximum, they are our of stock but you can register an account and ask to be notified when it arrives http://www.grafs.com/retail/ca...gory/categoryId/513?. This is seasonally produced brass like the .348 Winchester and is made only in batches as production schedules allow.