New
Find
Notify
Tools

flat base vs boat tail
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For those who have spent the time and effort to test the numerous combo's of 223 bullets and powder, what are your thoughts on accuracy between the flat base and boat tail bullet offerings in similar weights? BTW, I'm shooting a 700 VS.
I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks
MDH

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
You will not notice the difference between FB and BT bullets until the bullet re-enters the sonic world...regardless of caliber, regardless of initial velocity.

Of course this transition takes place at different distances for each...

So, if you are shooting 300 yards or less, there will be no difference, if you are shooting more, it will depend on when the bullet once again becomes a "sonic" projectile.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a 223 with 55 or 60 grain bullets subsonic isn't going to happen until out beyond 600 yds., further than typical 223 ranges. So use what shoots best in your rifle.

Posts: 59 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
<reload>
posted
Flat base bullets are more accurate up to 300 yards then boat tail bullets! The boat tail bullet will then preform better because of the less drag due to the aerodynamics. Check any benchrest records and you will find that the record groups are held by flat base bullets and 600 to 1,000 yards are held by the boat tail. Good Luck

<BigBob>
posted
MDH1053,
The success of the boattail in the market place demonstrates great salesmanship, but has little practical value. Ballisticly, the boattail design really doesn't offer much in the way of benefits until the range gets beyond about 300 yards. Within 300 yards the boattail will give about an inch improvement in trajectory and drift. I think I'm a pretty good shot, but I sure can't make use of that inch. I don't know of anyone who can.

As far as accuracy, that depends on what the rifle likes. There are no hard and fast rules. Only "usual results". The popular theory is that the flat based bullet gives better accuracy. This is due too a more consistent pressure across the base of the bullet, especially as the bullet clears the bore. I agree with that theory, somewhat. It has been my experience. the only way to find out for sure, is too try both designs. I can't explain it, and if I tried it would be BS or a lie, but some bores seem too decide they don't like a particular shape or make of bullet and there's not a thing I've ever been able to do about it.

With that said, I usually use bullets of the boattail shape. I also zero my rifles three inches high at 100 yards. Here in New Mexico range of shots can change with just a five minute walk. Besides, I need all the help I can get. [Big Grin]

[ 04-25-2003, 10:47: Message edited by: BigBob ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The propelling gases be in contact with the base of a flat base bullet only (see post above) where a boattail is attacked sideways also. This may cause the latter to yaw a bit more than the flat basen when leaving the barrel.
Due to its aerodynamical properties, the .30 caliber boattail's yaw "goes to sleep" at about 600 yrds. At600+, it will be the better performer.

As a slower twist yields more accuracy and bullet tolerance, and as shorter bullets need less twist, a flat base bullet being shorter than a boat tail of the same weight and ogive will will probably be the better choice on short distances.

Finally, there is a psychological aspect I find worth mentioning:
when you believe in the theory and choose a bullet according to it, you will be more confident with your load which improves your shooting mood and your groups.

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBob:
...The only way to find out for sure, is too try both designs...

Hey MDH1053, I agree. Each rifle has it's own preferences about what it shoots the best. And the only way to find out is to try different bullets - in your firearm.

Generally speaking, I've found the Sierras and Nosler B-Tips to often be more accurate than other bullets. But, as soon as you try to make it a hard and fast rule, some bullet you least expect will come along and do as well and occasionally even better.

For example, the non-Boat Tail(concave base) 50gr Rem PLHP is an outstandingly accurate bullet in my 223Rem at much less cost than the other bullets. They shoot in the 6s in my rifle with their favorite powders. It would be extremely rare for me to get a shot beyond 300yds where I hunt due to the terrain. So there is no need for me to go the extra cost of the B-tips or Sierras(unless I'm shooting to see who buys the BBQ).

I use both Boat Tails and Flat Base bullets in different rifles. The Boat Tails do make it a bit easier to "align" in the case for Seating. And yes they do shoot flatter way out there, but even then they "may not" be as accurate as the Flat Base bullets - you just have to try them.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The nosler ballistic tip which is a boattail is by far the most accurate bullet in my rifles.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is also an extra step in the manufacturing process of boat tails that, apparently, can cause some (slight) lack of uniformity in the bullet itself. This is what I've been told, and can't vouch for its validity, esp since I have gotten good results with boat tails. In fact, I wish there was a boat tail made that held together better for hunting...

Posts: 159 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is unlikely that you will detect any difference in the accuracy potential between the flat and boattail designs. Your individual gun may prefer one bullet to another, but it is doubtful that that preference is due to the base.

There is a long-time persistant myth, alluded to in previous posts, that boattail bullets cause more bore wear. Despite the "intuitive" notion that the shape of the base "directs" the expanding powder gases against the surface of the bore, this just isn't true and has been discouted over and over again in testing. Most military bullets are boattails, and they do nothing to increase bore wear.

Conventional boattail designs form a pocket in the jacket surrounding the lead core which tapers in a manner that tends to separate the jacket from the core more readily than a conventional flat base design. I have found a great deal of difference in favor of the integrity of Speer conventionals (which are also Hot Cores) versus their boattails. There seems to be a lesser difference in Sierras.

The Nosler Solid Base design provides a boattail which does not tend to shed its jacket (at least not because of the boattail design) because the lead pocket is cylindrical instead of reverse-tapered (the current Ballistic Tip Solid Base is regarded as somewhat frangible for other reasons than its boattail). The original lead-tipped Solid Base was regarded as a fairly tough bullet, and my experience with it seems to support this view.

But direct to the question of flat vs. boattail in the .223: I shoot exclusively Sierra 55 grain bullets conventional lead-tipped spitzers in either flat or boattail in my .223. Their accuracy and performance is indistinguishable.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
MY EXPERIENCE IN SCORES OF RIFLES TESTED OVER THE YEARS IS THAT THE FLAT BASE BULLET TEND TO BE MORE ACCURATE THAN THE BOAT TAIL IN SPORTING RIFLES. MATCH GRADE BARRLES OFTEN LOVE THE BOAT TAIL DESIGN. AS ALREADY MENTIONED THERE ARE ALWAYS EXCEPTIONS, AND IF YOU WANT TO KNOW FOR SURE IN YOUR RIFLE, YOU WILL JUST HAVE TO TEST BOTH. HAVE FUN. JIM.

Posts: 19 | Location: LITTLE ROCK, ARKANSAS | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always been told that flat base bullets are best for shorter ranges like 100, 200yds. Beyond that the boat tail bullets come into their own. Do I really believe it? I'm not so sure.
Lately the only non-hollow point bullet I use is the Nosler Bal. Tip which also happens to be a boat tail design. For the most part it's every bit as accurate as a host of flat base bullets I use.
Most of the Sierra Match bullets are surprisingly accurate at the shorter ranges, and they also are boat tails. Go figure! Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote