New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Redding Turret
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well after reading old posts on this site till I was blind ,I finally settled on a Redding Turret Press . This unit is going to be set up for loading 22 Hornets only (my main yote destroyer and general "walk around the woods and blast what ever gets in the way gun" ).I use a combination of dies for my hornet :Lee collet neck sizer ,Redding Body die ,Horniday New Dimension Seater ,and a Lee factory crimp die.Yes I have tried all the Hornet dies I could find,with the idea I could make it shoot like a good 22 centerfire, and in the process learned more about reloading than I had ever thought was possible .Now after a 10 year struggle with the Hornet , I'm going down the turret press trail.HA! HA!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Even the bushing dies as made by Redding?

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No I haven't tried the bushing dies . Once I got Lee Collet dies I didn't see any reason to go to a bushing die .I neck size with the collet and if necessary size the body with the body die .

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V. Smith:
Well .....after a 10 year struggle with the Hornet , ....HA! HA!
Hey V., A mere grain of sand on the beach of time. Big Grin

I "wrestled" with Hornets for 35 years. Had old M43 Wins with the 0.223" barrels on up through Contender Carbines. I'd have fairly good groups one day, or a week, and then the next time groups would be twice as large. Nothing would correct the problems including Small Pistol Primers.

Now, that was all before Lil'Gun Powder and Bullets under 45gr. I've never tried either of them in a Hornet and everyone "claims" they make a HUGE difference in being able to get small group consistent accuracy.

The reason I never tried the Lil'Gun or lighter than 45gr bullets is because they weren't available when I wrestled with them.

I did figure out how to fix the problem though - I swapped my last(and I do mean last) Hornet for a S&S 223Rem M7. I can down-load it to Hornet levels or take it right on up to normal 223Rem levels. And the best thing about it is the accuracy is not only "better" than I ever got with a Hornet, but it is consistent.

Best of luck with the Hornet!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Hot Core , I get good groups and guess what I don't use Little Gun ( I am going to try it). I have a Continder Carbine with a 21" barrel and I load 13.2 grains of AA1680 , Rem Cases , Rem pistol primers , Nozzler 40 gr Ballistic tip. Best thing I ever did was go to Lee collet neck sizers and a Lee factory crimp die.I get MOA groups and this is good enough .I think the ballist tip helps cause it is a long bullet and is properly stablized in a 1 in 14 twist barrel .My main reason for staying with the Hornet is the mild report and the fun I've had cussing this round .Well "light one up for me" when you can.