Find
Notify
Tools

Finding seating depth?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted
I'm loading for a friends Win Super Grade and have had problems finding seating depth.

I've tried the usual placing a bullet in a unloaded shell and cycling it in the chamber, than measuring, backing off, but it's hardly pushing it in at all.

The bullets I've tried this with were Hornady 7mm 154 fb & SST.

This works with my rifles so why am I having problems with his?

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HerrBerg
posted Hide Post
I prefer to put a single bullet in the chamber, tap it a few times lightly so that it sticks to the lands. Then I measure with a cleaning rod, from the front of the barrel. I make a mark on the rod with a sharp object.

Then I remove the bullt, close the action and measure how deep I can push the rod until I reach the bolt (remember to have the firing pin cocked, or else you won't get correct results), make a mark with the sharp object.

You now have two marks on the rod. Measure the distance between them with a caliper - this is the maximum OAL for that bullet in that specific rifle.

I don't like the idea of using a "blank" cartrigde and and chambering it to see how deeply the bullet is forced into the brass, I don't like the idea of potentially messing with this measurement by extracting the cartridge.

/HerrBerg

Posts: 1723 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I'll give that a go.

I'm still wondering why this action makes it different. I'll assume that the controlled feed and extract is what makes it different than my A-Bolt.

Thanks.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BR,
I suspect you use different bullets on your a bolt. The hornady bullets have a nose shape called secant ogive. The means a different shape than sierras, speers, etc.... What it also means is the full bullet diameter is farther away from the nose of the bullet. Do the bullet in the chamber, and push it in to make contact with the rifling....but I suspect the OAL might be too long for the box magazine of the W70. Check it and report your findings.
SP

Posts: 112 | Location: Akron, Ohio, USA | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I take a sized case and split the neck beyond the neck/shoulder junction with a cut off wheel in the dremmel. I squeeze the neck to regain tension as needed. I place the bullet in the case leaving it real long and close the bolt on this. Repeat this measuring each time. I consistantly get within a thou or two easy doing this. If the bullet pulled out some, the measurement will be way off from the others. They all should be the exact same, usually I get three for three and I call it good. Takes two minutes and is more accurate than my Stoney Point OAL gauge by far. Good luck. [Smile] The cleaning rod method works, just not quite as accurate. To keep track of throat errosion I like to be within a thou or two and save and mark the bullet I monitor it with.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I use my stoney point guage[auto version]Then take it over to my press and get a starting point for my seating die in a flash.Love it.

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Shon

I can see the secant ogive(never knew it was called that, thanks) on the SST but not noticable on the flat base. I've actually had no problem finding seating depth with this methode on my Ruger 7mag. using the 154gr. Hornady FB.

I'm going to try the cleaning rod methode but my friend keeps cancelling his day at the range because he has moved to the city for work. I may suggest that he buys one of the tools made for this.

Thanks guys.