Find
Notify
Tools

CCI primers
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted
It's getting to the time where I am going to have to lay in a stock of new large rifle primers.
I generally like to use Fed, but supply sometimes is erratic (like now)
I can get some CCI. I stopped using CCI mainly because they give hassles, or at least used to give hassles in my progressive presses for handguns.
What is CCI quality like nowadays?

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
I used to have problems with CCI primers not wanting to seat flush or below flush with the case rim. I thought it was just a personal experience until the advent of the internet and others posted the same experiences. I switched to Winchester primers and I have not looked back.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use CCI primers in all of my handguns and in my standard large rifle calibers. I have had no problems at all with them.
I use the Lee auto-prime for the rifles with great results.
I have had no problems with them in the progressive press with pistols.
Good luck.

David

Posts: 355 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
i just bought cci small mag pistol primers (they did not have any win.) The cci primers are still to tight and hard to seat, and the would not go in far enought in sako brass, had to crush then to get them flush.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I now use nothing but CCI. They work well and are easy to come by. I've never had a problem with seating them (unless I forgot to swage a primer pocket on a milsurp case [Roll Eyes] ). I load for some 25 cartridges + shotshells from 12 ga to .410 including the 28 ga. All CCI primers. All makes of brass and I've probably gone through some 100,000+ primers of which 35,000 are for shotshells.

Yes, I've used Winchester, Remington, Federal and some other brands. However, I've never seen a need to change only to adapt to the circumstances of the moment.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Started reloading with CCI (sale). No problems whatsoever. As I use other brands as well: extremely clean burning - it's fun to clean out the primer pocket :-)

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had misfires using CCI BR-2's. I switched to Federal 210M's and I'm happy with them.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Never had any problem with CCI primers...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use CCI 200 rifle primers exclusively, in variety of different brass. No problems, no complaints.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Federal, Remington, RWS and CCI and see no difference in them. The CCI's I use are the BR-2 and BR-4. I reload for 11 different centerfire calibers, often the only variable is the primer. Sometimes my most accurate loads are with Remington or Federal, sometimes with CCI. You'll go nuts trying to differentiate between their performance. It's that close. Best wishes.

Cal = Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
I have use Rem, Win, Fed. & CCI. I have found no real diffrence in the mechanics of reloading with any of them. I use a Lee Auto Prime tool. I get great results with their BR-2 & 4's. I load for 7 pistol cartridges and 12 Rifle and lot & lots of shotgun shells.

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I generally prefer Federal for two reasons: they seat better in my Dillon SDB presses (other brands produce an unacceptably large incidence of high primers), and they ignite easier in guns with weaker firing pin strikes. On the other hand, I have one gun/load combination that gives primer leaks with Federal. CCI primers don't have that problem.

Posts: 40 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting that so many have had trouble seating CCI primers.

I use the RCBS hand priming tool and have had problems with misfires in my .375 H&H, using CCI 250 primers in Remington brass. Couple guys at the range thought my primers looked a little deep.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
For some reason, the CCI primers have given me the most accurate results in both my PPC and my WSSM.

For some interesting experimental data: http://www.castingstuff.com/primer_tester.htm

FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote