New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear Bullet
 Login/Join

<Derb>
posted
I am having a hard time deciding on which bullet to use for black bear this year! 220gn nosler partition (which i havent shot yet)or 220gn rn hornady ! Im using a 300 RUM ! the 220gn hornady shot well with 98gns of H-50 BMG ,But I dont know if the bullets will hold together as well,any reccomendations would be appreciated on either or other bullets, Derb

one of us
posted Hide Post
You will have no trouble killing any black bear with one or the other having shoot serval blks with 308s and 3006 with 165's 180s and 220s they were all killed with one shot. You really do not need a 220 for blacks. but if that is what you want to use go for it.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As previously stated you certainly do not need a 220 gr bullet for black bear under any circumstances.Any controlled expansion bullet from 165gr and up will be fine for black bear.The partition,failsafe,bearclaw,a-frame or barnes x would all be fine choices.I do not use any bullet heavier than 180 gr in my ultramag and bullet performance has not been a problem with elk and moose which are much larger than black bear.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
If your set on the 220 gr. weight, I'd go with the Nosler Partition, guaranteed penetration. I'm sure they will shoot as good as the Hornady. Either way, they will be accurate enough for hunting black bear at short range.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote