New
Find
Notify
Tools

7-30 WATERS DIFFICULTY CAse forming
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello, Any ont out there load 7-30? I'm contemplating a new bbl for my Contender in 7-30 WATERS. How difficult is it to neck down and FL resize this ctg from its parent 30-30. Is that all that is required? I load 7mm TCU for the handgun now. Is making brass for the 7-30 more difficult than this ctg?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Simple as can be. Run em through with normal lube. It will leave a funky looking buldge near the shoulder....just ignore it. Load it up near max and go shoot it. You'll find they are terrifically accurate even when not fire formed. As a matter of fact I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with ammo I was fireforming!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Making 7-30 waters brass is quite simple. Just run a 30-30 case in a 7-30 die and out pops a double shouldered case. Load as you would any other case and fire in your chamber and the case will form to your chamber dimensions some folks then only neck size subsequent loadings.Brass usually require some trimming after a few loadings..depending on your chamber and how hot the load is. I have had brass last for 15 or more loadings..also had some fail at 5-6 firings...I have had my barrel for 35 years and still have some of the original Federal cases from the early years. My wife and I took several antelope in Wyoming with that pistol at 200 yards and beyond..120 NBT works well for deer and such. They run 2450 fps from my factory tube with AA2015BR..one of my favorite powders. A very easy cartridge to load and mild mannered to shoot...and very effective. Enjoy

shortgun

Posts: 147 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you'll be using 30-30 brass, you can set the shoulder to the perfect size for your chamber. Leave the sizing die a little high in the press and run a case up. Check to see if the case will fit and lock up in the Contender. Slowly turn the die further down and try again. Go slowly and stop when the Contender will just lock up. Then tighten the stop ring.

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen.
Thanks for the help. Sounds as if simple neckdown and fireforming are the requirements. These are can do items. I guess I'll have a new bbl. My regards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is relatively simple and straightforward. I shoot the forerunner of the Waters, the 7mm International rimmed, which has a longer neck so it becomes a bit more labor intensive. BTW, you can buy 7-30 Waters brass and save yourself the trouble of fireforming.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
+1 for just buying 7-30 brass. I started out forming mine from 30-30 brass and decided I would rather spend the extra time shooting since the brass was readily available.

FWIW, my 7-30 Waters Contender liked the following load:

130gr. Sierra SSP-2.775 OAL
W-748-35.5gr.-2300fps.
Win 30-30 formed brass-WLR Primer

Bob

Virgin Valley 7-30 Waters Contender

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote