Find
Notify
Tools

Corn Cob...was I ripped off?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Not_Infringed
posted
I have been reloading less than a year now. I started off with Lyman corn cob media (it's green and apparently treated some some sort of super cleaning-brass polishing chemicals). It works great and I love it.

During my last gun show visit I bought some corn cob media from a vendor. It appears to be plain old bits of corn cob (not treated like the Lyman stuff). I also bought a bottle of brass polish (Frankford Arsenal) to add to the corn cob media. Well I can't get this stuff to work. Brass (even already CLEAN brass) just won't shine.

If it makes a difference I have a Lyman Turbo 1200 Pro Vibratory tumbler.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"All our liberties are due to men who, when their conscience has compelled them, have broken the laws of the land."
-- William Kingdon Clifford

Posts: 65 | Location: KC, MO | Registered: 17 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO, the corn cobs cleans the brass; the additives are what shine it. Since I don't go for shiny brass, I can only suggest running a thread asking for the best additives or buy only treated media.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to any pet store and buy a bag of crushed walnut hulls. It works as well, or better than any other stuff I've ever tried.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with both of the above posts. If you want them to shine, add the Flitz polish instead of the other stuff. Get the stuff without amonia and it WILL be shiney.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pet stores around here have never heard of crushed walnut shells, they look at me like I'm stupid when I ask them.

Even my spell checker wants to replace Obama, it just doesn't have any suggestions.
jerry.baldwin06@comcast.net

Posts: 354 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my crushed walnut shells at the pet dept in WalMart.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's lizzard bedding.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It is also sold as "Hampster" bedding.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
No, you weren't ripped off. As others have stated, it is the additive that makes so much difference. You usually get what you pay for in this area.

If I'm really wanting to make old brass shine I use a two step process. I use coarser walnut media for the first round of tumbling then I switch to a finer, corncob media and good additive for the final round of tumbling.

However, that's a lot of work to go to when dull brass shoots as well as bright, shiny brass.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote