New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to reloading
 Login/Join

<Mike Garcia>
posted
Hello all, I am very new to reloading and would like some advise on 30-06 loads. I own a 30-06 single shot Lone Eagle pistol and can't seem to find specific loads for a short barrel.(Only rifle loads) Does barrel length make a difference in reloading?? Will I have to settle for the rifle loads in the reloading guides?

------------------
Mike Garcia

<Bill>
posted
This is just a guess as I do not shoot rifle caliber pistols, but I would suggest trying faster burning powders.

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

Save a plant, shoot a deer!

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I have .308 loads for the pistol on my reloading pages...you can start with them.

http://stevespages.com/page8c.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Mike, as a general rule, lighter bullets with the faster powders listed will lose the least amount of velocity in a pistol length barrel.

That said, there is a REASON most manuals don't list the '06 as a pistol cartridge..... FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Todd HHI #6829>
posted
Mike,

I have been shooting single shot pistols for quite awhile. Use the same data available for rifles in the shorter barrels. It has been proven for the most part the best loads in a long barrel are also the best in the short barrels. I shot some factory 30-06 when I first got my encore and got 2400+ fps with them so you don't lose as much velocity as you might think.

Hope this helps.

Todd