New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223/5.56 Brass Swaging
 Login/Join

Picture of M4Carbine503
posted
I know this topic has been hashed over many times before, but I have a little spin on it. I just upgraded my old single stage press to a Hornady Lock-N-Load AP press and I love it!! I am also in the process of aquiring the gear needed to reload .223/5.56 . I have 2,000 pieces of Lake City brass that need swaging. And before too many people start saying to ream out the primer crimps, I want to swage them out. So here's my question:

Which swager do I get? I have done months of research on this subject and everyone says to get a Dillon Super Swage 600. There are countless reviews on multiple forums endorsing the Dillon product. So I was set on purchasing one, and then several months back Hornady announced their Lock-N-Load AP Swaging Tool. I have been patiently sitting on my hands waiting for someone, ANYONE to come out with a review of the Hornady swager. But so far nothing! No one! It was a mixed bag of opinions when it was first introduced back last October as a future 2015 Shot Show release item from people on multiple forums. Those that were on the nay side were saying they already had a swaging system, (usually the Dillon Super Swage 600) and didn't see a point to buy something else when their Dillon already works great. OK, I can definitely see the logic in that. In fact I would agree if that was my situation. But I have yet to buy ANY swaging tool. The Dillon still looks like s definite contender, but the Hornady looks like a great system, IF it works as well as it appears. Does anyone have anything either positive or negative to say about the Hornady? I have waited this long to read a review and no one has said anything and I don't want to wait any longer. Summer is just about here and I am itching to get some quality trigger time in.

Posts: 2 | Location: Southern Washington  | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Hornady; no question. But I usually ream them ; easier than swaging.

Posts: 17266 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have swagged over 10k on my Dillon

Reamed probably 1 or 200

Need I say more

I have the Hornady AP myself but I'm on the fence on the change out to swag but it looks very fast

Lake City is tough and requires the crimp removed any way you slice it

However this past week I have done over 1k of Federal .223 without removing the crimp with no issues at all

Federal is soft though.....loose primmer pockets after just a couple loadings

This is the reason I decided to try Federal with the crimp still in place

*** NOTE *** DO NOT SWAG FULL DEPTH OF THE PRIMMER POCKET ***

Just go about half depth....you still want tight pockets

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I've done a thousands on my Dillon. I started.out reaming when started loading .45 ACP in the 90's. After reaming a couple hundred cases and loading them on a single stage I moved on to a progressive. When I started loading rifle I got the deswager.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ream em - get a little ball nosed carbide burr of the right dimension -stock it in the drill press. lots lots faster & cheaper

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of M4Carbine503
posted Hide Post
Has anyone here experienced the primer pockets getting looser faster by reaming out the crimp vs swaging the crimp out? Ultimately what I am looking for is the longest brass life possible.

Posts: 2 | Location: Southern Washington  | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swaging does not remove any material, and only moves a small amount- at the edge of the pocket, leaving the primer fully supported.

I tried the RCBS press mounted swage year back- mixed results in a SS press- lots of effort required. Would not think of using it on a progressive. Then I bought I used Dillon SS- never looked back. If the LNL swage is press mounted, it may require lots of effort and not be very uniform-

Let us know how the LNL works if that is howyou go....

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
This is thr Dillon I use.

Check this shit out and tell me if you can do it faster otherwise. Also, the quality of the swage is consitent and reliable in my opinion.

http://youtu.be/C34sRku4ASY

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 120 deg reamer and just touch the the base. Kinda like butchloc says. It is very fast.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote