Find
Notify
Tools

Bair Shotshell Reloader
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted
I recently was given an old Bair 12 ga. reloader. It dosn't have a model number on it but it is a nice single stage machine. My problem is that at some time the bushings parted company with the machine. It has a 1" thick black plastic charge bar with the usual two holes. One about .875" in dia (powder?) the other about an inch (shot?). One guy thought Bair was bought by Pacific then by Hornady. Any one out there have info on Bair Machines, ideas where I could find Bair powder & shot bushings. I could get some made but the cost would be worth more than the machine.

Thanks,

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scout,

I grew up reloading 12 ga. on a Bair. Dad still uses it. We talked about your "delimma" and seems like the Hornady lead may be one to try to trace. Neither of us remember for 100% certainty, but Dad at least remembers "hearing" that Hornady bushings may be compatable.

Hope this helps you out, or at least gives you a little more to point you in a direction...hopefully the right direction!

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Trapdoor, I checked my e-mail and had a note from Hornady today. They advised that they had not purchased Bair but indeed their bushings DO fit the old Bair Machines. So take note any owners of old Bair reloading equipment, you can keep that machine going.

Scout Master 54 [Razz]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I imagine Bair owners will be happy to hear that bit of news. I have Bair reloading dies, shell holders and assorted other tools from the early 70's. They were every bit the equal of RCBS and Redding at the time. They made some good equipment. It's always sad when a reliable old company goes under. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I HAVE AN OLD BAIR C PRESS I RELOAD .357 .38SPL AND 9 MM ON. IT'S A GOOD SOLID PRESS AND I LIKE IT ALOT.THE DIES FOR .38-.357 WERE ROUGH THO. SO I GOT SOME LEE SPEED DIES AND A LEE RELOADER C STYLE PRESS. I HAVE A SYSTEM WHERE I USE BOTH PRESSES AT ONCE TO SEAT AN CRIMP MY AMMO. BUT YOU ARE RIGHT BAIR PRESSES ARE BUILT GOOD.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In my search for info I had learned that Bair was either bought by or merged into Pacific Tool & Die, no one was specific when but I am guessing in the early 70's from what I got back. I recall Pacific equipment well, it was fine stuff. Pacific was then aquired by Hornady. The machining and workmanship on this old Bair press is quite remarkable.

Scout Master 54