New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loading the 350 Rem Mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
While looking for different bullet weights for loading my 350 Rem Mag, I came across some HORNADY 180gr Interlock SP SS/PB. Which are sold as Single Shot Pistol Bullets. So I'm thinkng that there are some pretty wild single shot pistols out there, where would the problem be in using these same bullets for the 350? I have found load charts for 180gr, and have considered that maybe they are sold as pistol bullets because they are thin skinned in the copper department and would fragment a the higher fps in a rifle. But I keep thinking back to pistols such as the Thompson Contender as a single shot and capable of high fps. Any thoughts would be helpful...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ron, I've not tried the 35cal 180gr Hornady SSPistol bullet either. I had the same thinking you did - probably rather fragile.

I don't think that totally eliminates it as a bullet for the 350RemMag, but it would probably do well to keep the shot placement behind the shoulder, or ribs-to-ribs.

I've got a whole lot of experience(30+ years) with the 200gr Hornady SP(Part# 3510) and it is an absolutely outstanding bullet for the 358Win, 35Whe and 350RemMag. Very tough bullet and performs at it's best by going "into" a shoulder. Using it ribs-to-ribs can result in a bit of a tracking situation, but there will be a dead Deer, Black Bear or Hog at the end of the tracks.

Also used the 180gr Speer Hot-Cor FP on a few Deer. They have all been hit through the shoulders and performed very well, so I don't know how it would do through the ribs at 350RemMag velocities. It kind of surprised me that they did so well for me, cause I know three Elders that have used them for years in their 35Rem Marlins with many, many 1-shot kills to their credit. It is the only 35cal bullet I've ever seen them shoot come to thing of it.

Only real issue with my 350RemMag is the 20" barrel being very loud. I must wear Sonic Ear Valves when hunting with it.

Absolutely awsome cartridge!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those particular projectiles were designed to expand at lower velocities. I too shoot a 350 Rem Mag. I have a classic that I use as a single shot using Nosler 225 Balistic tips. I Also have a 700 Mountain rifle that was built by Remington's Custom Shop on a long action. This is a non-cataloged gun and I have not shot it. If anyone is interested in purchasing it please contact me.

Billy

Posts: 87 | Location: St. Rose, LA USA | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Fireplug>
posted
The .350RM really does not come into its' niche for medium to big game with the 180 grain bullets. I use mostly 250 grain Speers, but the various 220 to 250 grain bullets all work well. One great feature of the .350RM and some other mediums is that at their moderate velocity most bullets seem to work well, but going to a light bullet for pistols might be stretching their good nature to far unless the load was reduced as well.

I do shoot quite a few pistol bullets, but they are hard cast at .38 Special +P velocity that hit to point of aim at 25 yards. The .350 is suitable for a very wide range of game due to the wide range of power levels for which good loads can be developed. The wilder the country the more likely I will reach for my .350 because of the added versatility these small game capable loads provide.

Fireplug

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 180 SS Hornady's are made for the .357 Herrett in TC. I also have a custom .350 Remington and it is my favorite jackrabbit rifle. I just got some of the 200 Hornady Spire points to try as I generally shoot either the 225 Sierras or Nosler Partitions. The 200 Hornadies are completely exploding the rabbits making me think they are pretty thin jacketed, just my opinion, but I have blasted over 30 jacks with them in the last week. If you care, I primarily use Varget, and get some real good velocity out of my 22" barreled gun.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fireplug - Can you provide some of the various reduced loads. The write up in the 3rd. edition of the Nosler reloading manual is what convinced me I need a 350 in the first place but since that time I have not been able to find much data on reduced loads.Thank You.

Posts: 87 | Location: St. Rose, LA USA | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Strange that Hornady's website lists them under rifle bullets, yet they are for pistols ??

Guess I should reconsider using these, since I had planned on loading some with 57gr of 4320. I was thinking these would make great coyote loads..

Wouldn't do much good if they self destructed before they reached their target...

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Ron53 -

If you don't care how many pieces the coyote becomes when the bullet hits it, I'd think 57/4320 should do just fine with the 180. [Smile]

The velocity should only be around, what, 2,800 FPS or so - I doubt the bullet will come apart before it gets there. If nothing else, try some out and let us know how they work.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Fireplug>
posted
hayes4,

I only have a few reduced loads that basically mimic smaller .35s. All are from reloading manuals (Speer, IMR, Hornady)except the .38 special equivalent which is from an old "Hunting" article by Ed Park. I let the issue get away from me though and I can not provide any more information. In general for reduced loads try to fill the case as full as you can for the velocity targeted. IMR's SR4759 has a lot of bulk for a given weight. My light cast load violates some of the better practices for reduced loads but it worked for Park and for me.

= to .38 +P:
158 gr. SWC or RN cast very hard, 31 grs. 3031
1550 fps

= to .357 Mag.:
180 gr. Speer FP, 27 grs. SR4759
1800 fps

= to .35 Rem.:
200 gr. Horn. RN, 33.5 SR 4759
2100~ fps

= to .356 Win. or light .358 Win.:
220 gr. Speer FP, 47.8 RE7
2275 fps

Velocities are from my 18" M600. The .38 approximation expands the range of game for the .350 and is comforting when a long ways from either help or the mini mart. My .350 and a box each of the .38 load and full tilt .250 Speers are also a much more comforting airplane rifle than one of those takedown .22s.

Fireplug

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fireplug,

Thanks for the info. I will have to get to the loading bench soon. By being able to duplicate so many different rounds is thw main reason I got my first 350. This has become the only rifle I use now. If the reduced round are accurate many rifles may end up for sale. Thanks again.

Billy