New
Find
Notify
Tools

17 Mach IV thick necks Causing High Pressures
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My 17 Mach IV brass necks are too thick causing high pressures. How do others reduce this thickness by neck reamer or outside neck turning or both. thanks for the help. Twyman

Posts: 48 | Location: Edmond OKlahoma | Registered: 23 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Twyman--This is just an educated guess on my part, but I think your best bet to get the same thickness on the necks all the way around would be to go with an outside neck turner. I would think the inside neck reamer would be hard to get running down the neck so you get the thickness on all 360� of the neck close to the same.

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Outside neck turning is almost always the preferred method. It's no fun, but once you are setup, it goes fairly quickly.
You may still need the neck reamer to remove any possible "doughnut" that may exist inside at the neck/shoulder junction. This may not be seen until the turned cases have been fired.
Great 17 cal reading/info over at saubier.com forum.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
I outside neck turn my 221 Fireball cases before necking down in a 3 step form die set. Perfect!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You're not making them out of .223 cases instead of .221FireBall cases, are you?

Outside neck turning is the way to go. The necks will be concentric.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote