New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case Life
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been reloading my 22.250 & 6.5x55SE for about a year and have been full length resizing when I thought neccessary and also trimming when needed. Is there a general rule of thumb when cases should be discarded?

In my 22.250 some cases have been reloaded 20 times and do not show any signs that they are worn out!

I have been using PMC,Remington & Winchester brass.

Aussie Frank
Any comments would be apreciated.

Posts: 53 | Location: Bundaberg,Queensland , Australia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been reloading for the .22-250Rem. and the 6.5x55 for some years, and it's rare that I have have to discard a case from either caliber. I use Remington cases in the .22-250 but stay around 3500fps. In the 6.5x55 I use only Lapua cases which seem to last a lifetime. Incidently I only neck size and use Wilson dies. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Use them until neck splits or won't hold tension,primer pockets get loose,or paper clip test shows case stretching.
cases in tight bolt rifles can last a very long time.
Cases in auto rifles not so fortunate.

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by covey16:
[QB]"Use them until neck splits or won't hold tension,primer pockets get loose,or paper clip test shows case stretching.
cases in tight bolt rifles can last a very long time."
I second this. I shoot a .257 Roberts using cases that have been used for over 30 years.Some of the necks are starting to split. [Wink]

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have been using Fed. and Win. cases reloading for my 243 for 12 years, and I use it alot,most of them are still good, for my 6,5x55 I use Lapua cases wich I think are the best you can get.

G.Olafsson, Iceland

Posts: 8 | Location: keflavik, iceland | Registered: 23 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
I've been loading the same .222 Rem (Fed. Match Brass)since 1975. I have lost count on the number of reloads. I have some .270 brass that's gone almost as long. If the chamber is tight and you keep it trimmed and the primer pockets are tight keep on using it.

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote