THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    In the lands or off the lands with different bullet types?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In the lands or off the lands with different bullet types?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
OK,..this could be a long one.

what have you found to be the "most occuring" feature with reguards to accuracy for different types of bullets? Lets say for example,..you find that a nosler BT in your testing works better at .001-.003" in the lands while a sierra MK works better in your tests at .010-.025" off the lands. I'm not asking for a law of the universe,..rather I am interested to see if a trend developes for for certain brands/designs of bullets, which may help to expediate the work-up process (taking into account there are always exceptions).

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Based on my 30 plus years of reloading I have found that "most" of the time on the lands to .015" off the lands has provided me the best accuracy.

Most 100 & 200 yard bench rest shooters I know like their bullets on or real close to the lands. Then again, bench rest shooters use custom made rifles specific to obtaining every .001" of accuracy they can get on target.

You may want to check, if you have the means, the distance from the base of the bullets you're using to the start of the ogive. You may find that this distance varies by more then what you think. In that case are all of those loaded rounds really .001" to .003" off the lands?

Don

Posts: 263 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
If there is a universal best I am not sure of it. I suppose .015" is a good place to start as any.

Seating into the lands can cause trouble in a hunting rifle. Most of the time this will mean that the loaded round is too long for the magazine. In a single shot rifle it could mean hard chambering or a stuck round or bullet in any action.

I just discovered that a 264WM will shoot only with a particular Lapua bullet seated hard into the lands. I know darn well that I should bed this action and maybe the barrel the right way but it's a lot of work so I am still playing around with it. This is not the best way to go about things.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey JustC, First off, I agree with both of the above.

This thread may not be as long as you think though, because most folks find a distance Off-the-Lands a particular bullet likes, they set up their Dies to Seat it there and then they forget about it.

Those same folks seem to forget the distance to the Lands is constantly changing. You can verify this for yourself by taking a single bullet and using it to measure the Kiss-the-Lands distance. Write the distance down and save it with that exact same bullet by leaving all of it in with your Dies. Then when you want to see how far the throat has receeded, remeasure with that bullet.

One of the things I recommend is that anytime you open a new box of bullets, you need to take one of them and verify the Kiss-the-Lands distance. As the throat lengthens, adjustments will need to be made in your Seating Depth to compensate for it.

The other problem this brings up is if you simply lengthen the Seating Depth, that changes the internal case volume and thus the "effective" Chamber Volume. Most of the time, the old Load doesn't need much tweaking, but if you are using a Magnum size case, slight Load changes may be needed after only one box of bullets. That is also very dependant on how many shots you send through the barrel when it is warm.

Some of my most accurate rifles prefer the bullets Seated Into the Lands. But, my hunting rifles all get the bullets Seated Off the lands. No particular distance, because as I mentioned above, it varies with each rifle and in how much a particuler rifle is shot. Some prefer 0.010" OTL and I have one that likes 0.264" OTL with one specific bullet.

As you can see, it is possible to go way overboard on this, or to any amount of measuring you so desire. In some of my firearms(like the 444Mar rifle, 357Mag revolver, etc.), I simply Seat to the Cannelure and never give it a second thought. At the distance I shoot this class of firearms, as long as the completed cartridge cycles properly, any accuracy adjustments I make to them do not include varying the Seating Depth.

[ 09-26-2003, 17:38: Message edited by: Hot Core ]

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I normaly take a spilt case and use that toget a measurement that allows me to start at the lands. I will work up the powder charge that performs best,..and have now begun to play with the seating.

I have been told by sierra, every caliber except 22 should be at the lands and the 22 should be ~.010-.020" off.

I have read books that the author states conventional bullets need to be at or in the lands and that VLD's need to be at or just off the lands. I figured this was a rifle to rifle basis,..but out of curiosity, I am asking the members to share their experiences. This is simply something I have wanted to ask.

Hot Core,..how far into the lands do you usually experiment with on a new rifle to see if that is where they want to be? Let's say this is day one of your new load workup with a new gun,..do you seat them .005" ITL or some other preset (from past experience) distance? thanks.

[ 09-26-2003, 17:39: Message edited by: JustC ]

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JustC:
...I have been told by sierra, every caliber except 22 should be at the lands and the 22 should be ~.010-.020" off.

Hot Core,..how far into the lands do you usually experiment with on a new rifle to see if that is where they want to be? Let's say this is day one of your new load workup with a new gun,..do you seat them .005" ITL or some other preset (from past experience) distance? thanks.

Hey JustC, Ever since Sierra moved from Califoney, the quotes I see from them get stranger all the time. Let me simply say that I disagree with "that specific info" from them. Perhaps that is what the guy you talked to has seen with his firearms, but it is very different from what I've seen.

Concerning ITL distance, I generally start at 0.010" ITL and change the Seating Depth to maintain 0.010" ITL as the throat moves back.

What you are trying to do is create a situation where the bullet is forced Into The Lands and "maintain that tension". If you increase the ITL distance to 0.020", quite often the amount of pressure exerted on the bullet will over-power the Neck Tension allowing it to slip back into the case.

I've just found that 0.010" ITL works for me. You may have better luck with 0.005", 0.015" or 0.020" depending on the specific Bullet Profile and your specific barrel.

More important to me is Partial-Full Length Resizing(P-FLR) of the fired cases. This forces the Case CenterLine into the very best alignment possible with the Chamber CenterLine. Much more so than any other method of Resizing, including Neck Sizing. This gives you the absolute BEST chance of having the bullet enter the barrel true and centered.

So, I P-FLR for the rifles where the bullets will be Seated OTL as well as those where they are Seated ITL.

P-FLR is where you set your Resizing Die so the Bolt closes on an Empty-Resized Case with a slight bit of effort. Any less Resizing and the Bolt will not close on the Empty-Resized Case. Any more Resizing and the Bolt closes the same as if no Case is in the Chamber.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I start .015" into the lands, find the MV range for bullet wt. that shoots best, adjust with different primers, maybe powders for best ignition and consistancy, varying powder charge to stay in the MV range (sweet spot), them move to OAL to fine tune and see if it helps any.

I have noticed no trend as of yet, depends on the gun, sometimes makes no difference, other times alters it significantly. Worth fine tuning with it tho, IMHO.

Hot Core,

Have a question I been meaning to ask you about. I'll start another thread to keep this one on track. P-FLR is what I'll title it. Just a quick question as to your experience with it over several loadings as brass gets harder.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What differences do you guys see with reguards to pressure when you are at .010-.015" into the lands vs at the lands?

also,..will me having .002" neck tension securely hold the bullet when closing the bolt on a round set for .010-.015" ITL?

Thanks Brent and Hot Core

[ 09-29-2003, 19:43: Message edited by: JustC ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
JustC,
What's important to remember is the reason for seating at, near, or into the lands. Hot Core touched on it. When a bullet is seated into the lands, you know the ogive is aligned with the axis of the bore. When the bullet jumps to the lands and runout is present, the bullet will not not be entering the bore straight. This can slightly deform the bullet as it is "swaged" into the throat, and cause all kinds of problems with accuracy.

I seat bullets hard into the lands with my 20BR, but I'm also expecting groups to be consistently in the .3's at worst. In rifles used for deer hunting, off the lands is definitely better. You may have to eject a loaded round from the chamber and you don't want the bullet stuck in the lands and powder scattered throughout your action. I seat bullets for my 7-08AI about .010" off the lands, but my dad's factory 7mm-08 Model 7 shoots better at least .015" off the lands.

As interesting as this post is, our tinkering is all for naught if the chamber is oversized or otherwise sloppy. If we start with a case that has no runout and no bullet runout (our "perfect" case) and seat into the lands, it is still possible that the only thing lined up with the axis of the bore is the ogive of the bullet. The axis of the entire cartridge, including the bullet, may still be off bore line. Hence, good chambers matter. I almost didn't post this because I didn't want to rain on anybody's parade, but that is why benchrest competition may see only a few thousandths between first and worst.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the rest of the cartridge is crooked, or fits loosely in the chamber, running the bullet into the lands may only mean that you've already started it into the bore crooked before firing. If everything else is aligned well, the bullet can get a straight start even if it has a little bit of "freebore" before the lands. Lots of rifles (Weatherbys, for example) shoot very nicely even when the bullet has to move 3/8" before contacting the rifling.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NotRicochet,
That's pretty much what I was trying to say. I guess it didn't come out very well.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, I think you pointed out the problems very well. I only wanted to emphasize that having the bullet jammed into the lands still doesn't guarantee that it's starting straight. It can be jammed in at an angle from the start.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK gentlemen,...I see your point with reguards to factory chambers, and hunting rounds. maybe a .005-.015" OTL would be the practical approach.

Now,..lets say in my custom chambers,..would the ITL approach be a good start for the VLD type bullets such as the a-max, clinch river, JLK, cartaruccio, match king, berger, etc. I have some verticle at 1000yds in my 300RUM and so far I have only seated AT the land. I am figuring this verticle is a pressure/velocity variation and therefore I am trying to gain some insight to change the seating.

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JustC:
What differences do you guys see with reguards to pressure when you are at .010-.015" into the lands vs at the lands?

also,..will me having .002" neck tension securely hold the bullet when closing the bolt on a round set for .010-.015" ITL?...

Hey JustC, The previous comments by "SST and NotRicochet" are very important to achieving the best possible accuracy. That is why I mentioned P-FLR because it gets the CenterLines of the Case and the Chamber in the "closest possible" alignment.

And yes, there are occasional misalignments with the Chambers and Bores, but it should not be something to concern yourself with when beginning to learn about this stuff. If it is crooked enough to be a BIG Problem, it will become self-evident.

Concerning the "Pressure" with ITL and OTL, I don't think there is one totally correct answer. Sometimes the Pressure peaks a bit quicker(less powder) when Seating ITL, then other times it seems to be about the same as OTL. The large amount of "variables" involved in the process apparently cause this.

Now, Brent is a diehard Strain Gauge guy and should be able to quote specific PSI values on the rifles he has worked with. The only problem is the amount of rifles in comparison. Maybe he has seen what I'm talking about and maybe not.

Overall though, I'd say it is best not to concern yourself about which way(ITL vs. OTL) is going to hit Peak Pressure the quickest. Just watch all the Pressure Indicators and when they say it is time to STOP adding Powder, do so. Then if you change from ITL to OTL, redevelop the Load starting with a bit less Powder. It will only take a few shots to make sure you are SAFE.

The more a person Reloads, the more they realize the wisdom of, "Always redevelop a Load from below when any change is made."

Will 0.002" Neck Tension hold 0.010"-0.015" ITL without slipping? This is another maybe answer. It can vary depending on the Hardness of the Neck(fresh anneal or 10 shots later), amount of Bullet(sq.in.) being gripped inside the Neck(depth x circumference), how clean the inside of the Necks are, the coating(or lack of) on the Bullet, compressed Powder or not, etc.

You are asking good questions. People with limited experience could give you information about what they have actually seen and it be totally different from someone else on "these types of questions". Doesn't mean either is wrong, but it can lead to some spirited debates.

Since you are apparently working toward achieving the best means possible to achieve top accuracy, I'll start a thread on "Little Known (Top Secret) Accuracy Tricks" and see if we can both learn something.