New
Find
Notify
Tools

Repeat Request: 30/06 & Blue Dot
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well since Deer season is upon us, have been getting emails requesting Blue Dot loads. As always the 30/06 seems popular.

Currently can only find the 150 grain Loads from earlier this year. Have loaded up some 165 and 180 grain loads to go out and test for the forum. Will post those results as soon as I get them done.

Here is Blue Dot with the 150 grain Rem SP.
Primer: CCI Large Rifle
Case: Rem
OAL: 81.40 mm

21 grs: 2057 fps
22 grs: 2180 fps
23 grs: 2225 fps
24 grs: 2272 fps

25 grs: 2363 fps
26 grs: 2421 fps
27 grs: 2422 fps

Any higher than this left extractor marks on the case.

My personal preference is a Nosler Ballistic Tip with this load.
I have not tried the SSTs from Hornady or the Barnes Bullets.
Ballistic Tips work very well at these lower velocities.

A Round Nose for a 30/30 out to be a great bullet in this for a kid, when you don't want him shooting at 400 yds on anything that moves.

The rifle used on this test was a Browning A Bolt ONE.
22 inch barrel.

Accuracy in this rifle was more than enough for minute of whitetail or blacktail at 100 yds.

The 21 grain load was exceptionally mild.

Good luck if you decide to use it

cheers and good shooting
seafire
grants pass oregon usa

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Seafire,

I have never really followed the Blue Dot threads but, Aren't you worried about pressure spikes w/ that fast of a powder? Seems dangerous. I wonder if anyone has used a Pressure trace w/ these loads. Wouldn't it be safer to use IMR SR4759 or AA5744 for reduced loads?

Just Curious.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NOT really Reloader.

I start lower and work these up until that pressure spike happens. I go further than I post and one notices extractor marks and sticky bolts, so I am comfortable with these.

5744 has not impressed me very much at all compared to Blue Dot. 4759 on the other hand has, but its availability is no where near as good as Blue Dot. Blue Dot has also been the most consistent powder I have ever worked with, having minimal velocity spreads.

It accuracy is superb, and I think better than 4759,which I have learned is no slouch.

cheers and good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,

I noticed Lee has a 16.5 gr Blue Dot load for the .45/70 with 300 gr bullet in their load sheet that accompanies their reloading dies. I still don't have my Handi rifle barrel, but plan to give that load a try, first thing (they're loaded and waiting!).

Posts: 151 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
hey seafire....could ya send me any blue dot 300mag info ya got? i may try to cut a 300mag encore rifle barrel down to 16"-17" for handgun use....at some point.

i tried some blue dot for forming 30-30AI cases in my 14" contender. it's great! 125's 150's, and 165's all did good at 50 yards. the 165's put 4 of 5 under an inch at 100 yards. pleasant target shooting also. didn't chrony them, but loaded 125's at 17.0gr.....150's at 16.0gr.....and 165's at 15.0gr

what do you find....or how do you find max load differing with different bullet weights?

Posts: 268 | Location: Northeast Kentucky | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kyode:

All my information found is by shooting each one, one at a time. I load up in one grain increments. When one gets hard to extract, or extracting has some resistance, then one grain less is what I consider max load.

Ain't scientific but it proves pretty accurate.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

PS, email me at my home email and I will forward the 300 win mag info back to you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, your work with Blue Dot is interesting. I used to shoot kegs of 2400 out the end of various 30/06 rifles. But my bullets were cast and weighed from 170 on up to 205 grs. The 205 grs were my favorite and more accurate than ANYTHING I could put thru that /06.

Anyway, my point is 2400 is a good powder for reduced loads as well.

What other cartridges have you done similar research using BD? I've got 8 - 10 lbs of it that are going to be hard to shoot up with pistols.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote