Notify
Tools

walnut media
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted
Hi,
What brands of walnut media are available? Are there any brands that do not have additives? Who sells medias?

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got my walnut media from the local WalMart in their pet department. I am sure any pet shop will have ground walnut for pet cages.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I got my last batch of walnut shells at an industrial supply house. It is used for sandblasting. the price per pound was about half of what the reloading stores wanted.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I find this an interesting question. I take it that they don’t grow Walnut trees in Australia.

http://www.myrockhound.com, will ship internationally. As many pounds as you want.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C.F.Plinker:
I got my last batch of walnut shells at an industrial supply house. It is used for sandblasting. the price per pound was about half of what the reloading stores wanted.

Same here. I bought a 50lb bag years ago for something like $15. I've still got half a bag left.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Luckyducker:
I got my walnut media from the local WalMart in their pet department. I am sure any pet shop will have ground walnut for pet cages.

thumbx2 thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I ahve not been able to locate an locally grown walnut media in Australia.

Regards,
Bob.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything wrong with corn cobs?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob ; Try and find some polishing medium other than walnut or corn cob . Perhaps check out some treated Plastic shapes triangles rounds squares ?.
You any where near Coober Pedy or have access to industrial suppliers who handle polishing media for the Gem market ?.

I have these triangles which are a treated plastic ( Urethane 80 100 durometer ? )they were used to polish glass , marble , synthetic counter top materials . How ever work VERY WELL on almost anything other than Aluminum .

Baking Soda works real well !. Try mixing in with saw dust or better very small chunks of say Bull Oak , or Eucalyptus Paniculata or Jarrah . They will clean what ever off that brass !.

You can even use dried Eucalyptus seed pods .

Straight Away Mate .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can even use dried Eucalyptus seed pods .

For that matter, I've used both wheat and grain sorghum straght from the combine. Unprocessed rice should work, but DON'T try any "converted" rice from the grocery as some will advise -- it leaves a stubborn residue of white starch on your cases.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried coffee grounds a couple of times, they worked, but not the greatest.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob from Down Under: surely someone grinds up gum trees? As dense as that wood is, it would last forever in a tumbler.

Posts: 100 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA | Registered: 10 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the ideas. I've got some different options to trial.

Regards,
Bob.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I guess I should be more thankful for that little gunshop locally that carries it in a big trash can in their store... you fill up gallon zip lock bags, or # 10 coffee cans of it.. for like $4 or $5.00.....

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob ; I tried Eucalyptus seed pods along with baking soda . It works real well !.

Seeing as I have just about every Euke or at least the seeds of that genius ( Thanks to the CSIRO ) I thought I would give it whirl .

So I emptied my Dillon tumbler , walked out to my driveway swept up about 2 gallons of seed pods ( Pillaris , Maculata ) put them through a screen ( remove any gravel or debris ) set them in the wifes oven on 200 Deg. for 2 hours . Then turned it off left them overnight.

Next day put those along with baking soda in the tumbler . Instead of cases I decided to " Really Test " it . I'm refurbishing our rental .

So I removed ALL of these kitchen cabinet handles along with the back plates . Almost 30 years worth of food tarnish lacquer green brown stained , Lord only knows what else .
I washed them in Acetone Lacquer Mek solvent , alot of crap came off but the brass plating was almost non existent .

2 1/2 hrs. later I had bright shinny brass again which I promptly washed in a new solvent bath , laid them out and shot catalyzed lacquer over them .

I priced new handles along with backing plates WOW OUCH , all Chinese junk to boot .

The ones I had were made in Canada and quality at that !.

So being the enterprising sort I am !.Cheap is such a harsh word and I so dislike Frugal !.

I took the extra money and bought a few boxes of projectiles along with new powder and a New Die set , for an upcoming new caliber rifle I'm purchasing !.

One word of caution for any of you who will be using baking soda . Experiment with the tumble time , other wise you may have no usable pieces to tumble . It's used as a blasting media more commonly known by it's trade name Armex .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sea West Premium Harvest cage litter, ground walnut shell- 5 pounds for 3.19, add a cap full of Meguiars cleaner wax, or Dillon rapid polish 290, works great. IMHO the car wax does a better job than the Dillon additive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr. K
You have got me going. I live in a semi rural area. Lots of eucalyptus trees abound. I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Regards,
Bob.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
swheeler. Does the measured amount of wax go in the whole five pounds?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No just in your tumbler full, about half a bag.