New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22-250 Recommendations?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'd like to know your favorite bullet/powder combination for two different shooting disciplines with the .22-250.

1. 300-400 yard varmint

2. Target (Benchrest)

My gun is a Ruger Heavy Varmint with 26" barrel.

Thanks!

Mule Skinner < !--color-->

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
34 grains of IMR-4895 under a Nosler 55 Gr. Ballistic Tip will print groups in the 3's in my Savage varmint. I'm not sure what kind of long range you're talking about, but I believe that's a good all-around load.

Posts: 100 | Location: Lubbock, TX | Registered: 15 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use the same combo for both types of shooting. 50 gr. Hornady V-maz Stuffed with 38 gr. of Hodgdon 380 powder. This is a load that for the velocity is low on pressure. Good for case life and I just like the fact that I am not "abusing" the barrel and the gun. Also is a very accurate round in my Savage.

Posts: 4 | Location: Addison, NY | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve,

I visit your site often. It contains a wealth of information. In fact your data is always considered allong with the industry data in my narrowing down of powder, bullet weight and load.

Quick Question- Why do you prefer boattail bullets to flat base in your favorite .22-250 loads? I have heard that most benchrest guys use flat based bullets because they are more accurate out to about 300 yards or so.

Thanks Again,

Mule Skinner

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
Varmint

36.5 Varget
Sierra 52 gr HPBT Match
Norma Brass
WLR primer

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
For two really fantastic scientific reasons...

#1-I like the way they look.
#2-The are easier to seat when reloading.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester model 70 XTR
36g Varget
Rem brass
Winchester primers
Hornady 52g HPBT Match
3/8" at 100 yards.

Posts: 125 | Location: SW Manitoba Canada | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
35.5 grs of Varget
50gr Nosler Ballistic tip
Win Brass
Fed Match primer

one of us
Picture of Whelen Nut
posted Hide Post
40 gr. W760

50 gr. Hornady V-Max (Moly)

Remington Cases

CCI-LR

Posts: 249 | Location: Northeast WI | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of woodseye
posted Hide Post
36 gr IMR 4064

50 gr Hornady V-Max

Winchester Brass

Winchester Large Rifle Primers

Beat H380 - H414 - IMR 4895 - and Varget in my Savage for accuracy. Shoots ones and twos when I do my part, works unbelievable on crows. Might shoot better with some kind of match bullet for benchrest.....but I can't see messing with such an accurate recipe.

woods

Posts: 672 | Location: Northern Border Country | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote