New
Find
Notify
Tools

Resizing die very sticky..help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got Hornady dies for my .340 wby. From the start the resizing die has been very very sticky. After the resizing the brass it is very difficult to get the die to release the brass. I have to literally hit the lever a few times to get it to release. I do use some case lube but I must have started using too much because my last few have dented. What am I doing wrong? Is it me or the dies? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Posts: 156 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
<reload>
posted
Buy some imperial sizing wax, you will find that it would work better than what you are using. You need very little on your cases and it is easy to wipe off. Good Luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
One possibility is that your resizing die may have a metal burr in it that is keeping cases from being released easily. If not, I'd clean the die thoroughly to remove all traces of oil or lubricant from it, and then switch to Lee resizing lube. It comes in a tube like toothpaste, and is water-based.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try it without the expander. If that's not it check that die is not undersize and that it is not rough.

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two things come to mind. If you're rolling your cases on a lube pad before sizing are you getting an even distribution of lube on your cases, and are you lubing the inside of the neck?
Run a light coating of lube on a Q-tip inside the neck, then size. I've always found that helpful.
You can wipe the neck back out when finished. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
If the above suggestions do not work, I have had good success taking some 0000 steel wool and wrapping it around a used bore brush. Insert into a cordless drill, and polish the inside of the die. If you add a little Flitz metal polish to it, things get even smoother.

Then, polish the expander ball (I use Steel wool with Flitz, again). With heavy duty brass, the reduced friction really does help quite a bit. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, thats lots of suggestions. I think I'll try all of them till one works. I think I'll start with cleaning the die and then using some lube in the neck..Thanks everyone.

Posts: 156 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, lub the neck with a Q-tip and put a light layer inside, don't need much. You will notice the difference imediately. After im done sizing wipe the necks clean with a new Q-tip. Works great!! I also use a little Alcohol on one side of the Q-tip to really clean the neck after i lube and size, alcohol on a rag to wipe the imperial sizing wax off the outside of the case works great as well. Try lubing the neck, it will help.

Posts: 165 | Location: BAKER CITY OREGON!!!!!! | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can clean your dies with brake cleaner...BUT..make sure you spray some Rem oil or some WD 40 inside the die first.
I cleaned some dies w/ brake cleaner, and failed to spray the inside of the die, and got a case stuck but good.
It cleaned the case lube off the case and...you know the rest!!...sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sakofan hit is right on the head, your die is too gummed up with lube.
RCBS recommends in their little flyer with their dies, to clean them before you use them. However I am sure 90 % of the public never read the instructions that come with the die set.

Resizing without the expander ball is also a great recommendation, as I learned to do that a long time ago. It may take a few more steps, ( sizing, depriming, and then partially size the neck) but it sure beats the heck out of having to deal with a stuck case.

Polishing the expanding rod is also a suggestion worth its weight in gold.

Your Die Just needs a Grease Job and Oil Change!!! [Razz] [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
If you clean your die (we all should, more often), please select the "seasoning" oil a little more judiciously than spraying WD-40!

Something Teflon based, Breakfree CLP or Tetra-Gun come to mind, will not gum up as quickly, nor dry out like WD-40. These oils will fill up the voids in the steel and stay there. WD-40 is great stuff when used in it's right element, but lubrication is not it's strong suit. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch:
If you clean your die (we all should, more often), please select the "seasoning" oil a little more judiciously than spraying WD-40!

Something Teflon based, Breakfree CLP or Tetra-Gun come to mind, will not gum up as quickly, nor dry out like WD-40. These oils will fill up the voids in the steel and stay there. WD-40 is great stuff when used in it's right element, but lubrication is not it's strong suit. JMO, Dutch.

Dutch made a good point. All I have ever used is Rem oil in my dies, and was merely trying to illustrate the need for lubricating the inside of the die, prior to resizing.
File under the "something is better than nothing column"! [Eek!] ...sakofan...Good luck!!

[ 08-08-2003, 02:40: Message edited by: sakofan ]

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try a little spray of Remington gun oil with teflon in it. I use it on my bolts for my bolt actions. Also consider some of the Synthetic lubes in a spray. I have some and it has lasted so long, I can't remember the manufacturer. I paid about $4.00 for it and I bet I have had in since 1989 or so. As you can see it is a cheap investment.

Dutch and Sakofan are hitting it right on the head. I do that and have no problems at all.
[Razz] [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote