Tools

crimping 35 whelen?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do you crimp for your 35 whelen?

Thanks

AR

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Typically no. But that is because I load to max length, and that leaves more projectile sticking out of the case than just to the cannelure.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No. None of the 25+ cartridges I load w/ the exception of cast loads.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Lee Factory Crimp die, Yes on all loads both jacketed and cast.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 35whelenman
posted Hide Post
I don't crimp due to either the lack of a cannelure or the bullet being seated out past the cannelure.

I have never experienced an issue in 10 years of loading 250 grain Interlocks with IMR 4064 (not compressed powder charge).

I do know that lots of people like a stiff charge of RL-15 or Varget that requires more compression than I'm comfortable with when it comes to bullets like Ballistic Tips, Accubonds and Gamekings. I believe in crimping hunting loads when it comes to compressed powder charges. But that's really just a personal choice.

Posts: 162 | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm loading 225gr AB in 35 WhelenAI and never had a problem.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I crimp my shotshell and my revolver loads but never a rifle round in over 45 years of reloading.. without a single issue.

More folks will end up creating loose bullets or crushed, bulged cases by trying to crimp than by any other folly. I've seen it so often that it's almost comical. (of course you wouldn't)

What's your purpose and goal for crimping?
Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Yup, I've had those problems with traditional crimps, mostly on my .458 WM, but never after finding and using the Lee Factory Crimp die. I trim when I have to only so varying case length is a fact not a maybe. LFC die takes care of that.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
I don't crimp but do use the Lee Factory Crimp Die. I don't know if it does a thing but it makes me feel better to use it.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steyrsteve:
I don't crimp but do use the Lee Factory Crimp Die. I don't know if it does a thing but it makes me feel better to use it.

You don't crimp, but you use the Lee Factory Crimp Die, and it makes you feel better? Ok, I'm confused. Whistling

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
Do you crimp for your 35 whelen?

Thanks

AR

No

Posts: 282 | Location: Foothills of the Rocky's | Registered: 04 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Graybird-to clarify. I don't use a regular 360 degree conventional turn-in crimp, which is a built-in feature of dies, if so adjusted. I do use the Lee FCD which, supposedly duplicates the factory style crimp.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot shells, lever gun rounds and handgun loads are the only loads I've ever crimped. I forgot to crimp the last batch of 30-30 and haven't had any problem in my model 64 with bullets setting back.

With the exception of the lever gun rounds, I've never crimped rifle rounds, not even in my 400 Whelen or 10.75x57.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope, never crimped a 35 Whelen.
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steyrsteve:
Graybird-to clarify. I don't use a regular 360 degree conventional turn-in crimp, which is a built-in feature of dies, if so adjusted. I do use the Lee FCD which, supposedly duplicates the factory style crimp.

So you do crimp then.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I don't crimp any of my high power rifle rounds unless they are for use in one of my guns with a tubular magazine.

Steve.........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote