New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying a new Trimmer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do you think would be the improvement in buying one of the new trimmers , rcbs etc,having an old Lyman power trimmer working ok.?
Thank you very much for the answers

Posts: 102 | Location: Catrilo La Pampa-Argentina | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Iy you are going to buy a new trimmer, why not just break down and buy the best?

I have four case trimmers sitting out in the garage that I NEVER use anymore because I bought the Wison/Sinclair Ultimate Case Trimmer from Sinclair International.

This is Sinclair's customized version of the well respected Wilson case trimmer. It has a micrometer on one end to set the case lengths.
If you need a case to be 1.51 inches long, you set that micrometer to 1.51 and go to cutting. Your cases will come out 1.51 inches long, every time !!

It is not cheap, it costs $145 dollars. BUT, good quality equipment is seldom cheap. It uses no pilots but uses shell holders made by Wilson.

It is one of the best pieces of reloading equipment that I have purchases in nearly 50 years of reloading.

Sinclair International: 1-800-717-8211 or www.sinclairintl.com.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
R Flowers
Thank´s for your answer but I´m looking for a motorized trimmer not a manual one.

Posts: 102 | Location: Catrilo La Pampa-Argentina | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had an RCBS power TRIM-PRO for quite a while now and love it.

It is easily adjusted and it trims the same, no variance at all!

I know that I would be lost if something were to happen to this one. I won't be without it.

Don't know what else to say about it except that I love it!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
Save yourself some headaches, get the LEE stuff.

H

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best motorized trimmer is the Giraud. It is a bit pricey, $375.00 dollars. But if you have a large volume of cases, it is as sweet as they come. It trimms to length and champhers inside and out in one operation. All in lerss than a second or so.
If the Giraudis too expensive for you the next in line is the Gracey. It is $250.00 Does the same thing, takes a little longer. It is a bit fussy to change the cutter assembly for a different caliber. Unless you buy an after market cutter blade.

These are the only ones I would consider for high volume trimming.
You can check them out here.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com

muck

p.s. a place to get the carbide aftermarket cutter for the Gracey. And other hints for better operation.

http://www.bjonessights.com

Scroll down the home page, click on the carbide cutter blade link.

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for the Giraud case trimmer. It chamfers inside and out during the trim operation.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the set of trade-offs presented by the Possum Hollow trimmer from Sinclair. If you have a power driver (drill press, power screwdriver), it is economical with quck changeover. Doesn't chamfer, however.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Gracey and ordered it without the motor. I then bought a 3500 rpm motor and carbide cutters. It cuts much faster and the price ended up the same as the slower 1750 rpm Gracey. It chamfers inside and out also.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a custom Lee/Black & Decker power trimmer!! Big Grin

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
R Flowers, you have a private message...Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for the Lee. They key word is kiss.

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After using RCBS, Forster, Lyman and Hornady trimmers I now use the Lee set up with a power drill almost exclusively. Unfortunately Lee doesn't make gages and shell holders for all cartridges.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SC_Gunner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unfortunately Lee doesn't make gages and shell holders for all cartridges.

And even more unfortunate is that the ones they do make don't always work. I bought the Lee Zip Trim setup from Midway just last week. Of the six case length guage/shellholder sets that I bought, five work fine. But the .38 Special guage wont fit into the mouth of a .38 Special case. This is the third problem I've had with Lee equipment in 6 months. I think I'll take the hint this time and just quit buying there stuff. ~ Marc

Posts: 46 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 29 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Lee Trimmer widgets myself. Like others here have already mentioned if you use an elctric screwdriver they are pretty high tech, very fast and I've had no issues with them.

And YES, Lee will make custom length gauges for you but NOT Custom shellholders. They're not available for every cartridge but with some judicious juggling of shell holders and Custom Length Guages you can cover alot of territory.

At @ $3.00 each you can purchase pretty much about every one they make and still not be out too much.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
SC_Gunner,If you were trying to trim unfired brass you may have to size them first when using the Lee trimmer.

Neil

Disabled Vietnam Veteran
NRA
DAV

Posts: 2 | Location: lufkin,tx | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much to all ,after reding your opinions I think I will buy the giraud trimer.
Sincerelly
Guillermo trotz

One of Us
Picture of SC_Gunner
posted Hide Post
It appears as if I might owe the boys at Lee an apology this time. I had tried the guage on fired brass that I bought in a bulk lot. I had separated this brass, and the particular lot I had in hand was marked PRECISION. I don't have any experience with this brand. Has anyone here used it, or have any info on it. Anyhoo, just for gits and shiggles, I tried the guage on some Magtech brass and it worked fine. Also worked fine with RP, Win. and FC. Looks like I'll have crow on my dinner plate tonight. ~ Marc

Posts: 46 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 29 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
R Flowers....You have another private message. Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote