New
Find
Notify
Tools

IMR 4350 and Barnes TSX
 Login/Join

posted
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and just started reloading 30-06 recently. I have experience loading 45 ACP and .44 Mag but as I say, new to 30-06.

I was wondering if anyone has loaded the Barnes 150 gr TSX Boattail with IMR4350. I called Barnes and they sent me the new reloading info that is soon to be in the 4th edition of their reloading manual but it has no info for that powder. If anyone has, could you please share your info? I'm looking to create a load for Whitetail hunting this November.

Thanks, Gary

Gary

Posts: 12 | Location: Shoreview, MN | Registered: 01 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary, contrary to the Barnes X, the TSX is not a bullet typically associated with high pressure. In fact, a friend of mine found it to generate lower pressures (due to low engraving force?) than more traditional cup and core bullets. What that means, is that, assuming you work up from below and watch out for pressure signs in your particular rifle, it should be safe to use IMR 4350 data for other 150 grs bullets.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp is a good source for such data.

Good luck.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RB98SS:
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and just started reloading 30-06 recently. I have experience loading 45 ACP and .44 Mag but as I say, new to 30-06.

I was wondering if anyone has loaded the Barnes 150 gr TSX Boattail with IMR4350. I called Barnes and they sent me the new reloading info that is soon to be in the 4th edition of their reloading manual but it has no info for that powder. If anyone has, could you please share your info? I'm looking to create a load for Whitetail hunting this November.

Thanks, Gary

I have loaded the 150 tsx with H-4350 which burns a bit slower than IMR 4350. My best results were with 57 grains ave velocity out of a 24" barrel for me was 2980 fps and kept 3 shots under an inch.

The barnes #3 manual shows a starting charge of 54 grains and a max of 58 grains for IMR 4350 with the older non groved x bullet. I would start at 54 and work up untill you get the groups you are looking for. I would also not overlook H-414/Win 760 for this bullet if you do not get the accuracy you are looking for with 4350. Barnes recomends starting 50 tho off the lands and working either foreward or back ward to acheive best accuracy. I have talked to a couple of fellows who have crimped the tsx bullets in the second groove and got the accuracy they desired for hunting without playing with distance to the lands.

Good luck to you if you need any more info just holler or drop me a private message.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i worked with IMR-4350 to 58grs , if memory serves me correctly. it chronoed 2980 and shot under 3/4of and in at a 100yds. very good load for my old J.C.Higgins 30 06. just havent shot a deer with it yet.

Posts: 97 | Location: maple valley, wash. | Registered: 19 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am reloading the 150 gr MRX in '06 and using up to 58 gr H4350. Shoots less than MOA in my pre 64 Fwt.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, great info.

Gary

Posts: 12 | Location: Shoreview, MN | Registered: 01 October 2007Reply With Quote