New
Find
Notify
Tools

Split case mouth?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have any of you ever found split mouths in brand new winchester brass? After resizing my new 22-250 and 25-06 cases and inspecting them I found 2 split mouths on the 22-250 and one in the 25-06 brass. My 300 win mag brass had no defects whatsoever. Could it have been caused by the resizing die or could it have been a bad brass to start with. From now on I will inspect all the brass before resizing or get a better brand.

Posts: 149 | Location: western Iowa | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I noticed this last fall with the last batch of Winchester 25-06 brass I bought. I don`t recall exactly but there were 3-4 bad cases in the bag. One had a fold in the neck, the rest were split.
I like Winchesters cases over Remingtons and should have called and complained but I never got around to it.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
You can repair the split necks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Hyrlik:
You can repair the split necks.

Will you please tell us how to repair split necks? I think it would be greately appreciated. Thanks,

Rick

Posts: 178 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
By brazing, inside reaming, and outside turning.

But why would anyone go through all that?

Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Hyrlik:
By brazing, inside reaming, and outside turning.

But why would anyone go through all that?

Wink

Exactly my thoughts.

Rick

Posts: 178 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brazing? or soldering?

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine recently had Win. .22/250 brass that pretty much all split on second firing . Not properly annealled from the factory we think .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I just bought a bag of WW 6.5x55 and out of the 50 had 5 case with folds in the necks. Then it took me half the morning to track down a phone number for Olin customer service, as there was nothing in the Winchester customer service web site. That pissed me more than the bad cases. However, once I got through they took the part number and lot number from me and offered to pay shipping to return the bad cases. This was a week ago and I'm waiting to see what they return to me for my troubles.

Posts: 7 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I have had similar problems. I wish federal would sell their brass!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Got a letter yesterday from Winchester/Olin apologizing for their laps in quality along with an American flag decal, nice touch. The customer service representative also explained that the defective cases had been directed to the quality department and that a replacement bag of 6.5x55 brass was ordered for me as a replacement. It was definitely worth my time and $1.09 postage to follow up with Winchester/Olin to resolve this matter in an equitable manner.

Posts: 7 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So they are sending you a whole new bag of 50 cases. What is their phone number as I may have to call them up. Other than winchester brass, what better quality brass would you recommend that wouldn't break the bank like the normas.

Posts: 149 | Location: western Iowa | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerAs the world goes to hell so will the quality of everything. We had better stock up on all the cases we can get, pick up every spent case no matter the caliber for trading later. The untold goal is to make a case out of something that cannot be reloaded. This will phase out reloading in a few years as the up coming generation will be taught it is not necessary, and an evil thing to own a fire arm much less reload one. Brass cases as we know them will not be around so we had better stock up. I pick up every round I can find at the ranges. It is coming folks get ready. Powder will be $100.00 a can when the UN gets more power like getting Clinton as the president. Laugh if you want to, but if we don't quit bitching at ourselves and get serious about this we will one day cry.

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blob1,

Amen to that! I've been stockpiling components off and on for years. I've got thousands of primers, cases, etc and many pounds of powder for my favorite calibers in particular.

I also have over 10,000 .22 rimfire rounds sealed in .50 cal ammo cans for just such a day when the bastards outlaw or tax these things into oblivion.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote