New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on Speer Grand Slams
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In all the years I've reloaded, I have nver tired Speer Grand Slams. I am interested in 130 and 150 grain 270, and 180 grain 30 cal.

How are they for accuracy?

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't tell you much about the .30 cal bullets, but have used the 250 grainers in .338 on moose. Two shots, two moose. Neither took more than 10 steps after being hit. Took some effort to work up an accurate load, but once that was done I have no doubts that the bullet will perform. Hope this was som help.
Good hunting

Posts: 282 | Location: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: 26 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found Speer Grand Slams to be quite accurate, in .270, .280, and .35 Whelen. I've not loaded them in a .30 caliber rifle. I've killed a number of mule deer and whitetails with 145 GS's in my .280; and one whitetail with a 130 GS in .270. But I loaded lots of 150 GS's for my hunting partner when he had a .270, and he killed numerous elk with them -- including a 360+ bull. Under most circumstances, they are my preferred bullet for hunting.

Posts: 119 | Location: Ketchikan, AK USA | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I've used a 180 Grand Slam in a .300 Mag when I couldn't get Partitions to group well. I shot an elk with the load. The bullet completely disintegrated when it hit bone. I was picking microscopic fragments of lead from the backstraps every time I ate some. Needless to say, I never used them again. One failure like this was enough to sour me on them forever !!!!

bowhuntr

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Speer has a great loading manual, but from my limited experience with Grand Slams, they are "less" premium than what I would consider a "premium" bullet.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have never used any Grand Slams personally but have hunted with a couple outfitters that would rather not have them in camp.....

Not exactly scientific I know but you do not hear that about Partitions, Trophy Bondeds or HAWKS.

KDK

Posts: 15 | Location: Jackson County MI | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've had limited use with them, but am 100% satisfied. Shot a moose this year with a 7mm 160 GS at 2900fps at 68 yards. Bullet broke bone and penetrated approx 24" (raking shot). A buddy of mine used a 250 gr out of his 338 Win. Took out both shoulders of a large black bear and the bullet kept on going. Good accuracy, affordable bullets - what more could you ask for?

ACKLEY

Posts: 8 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 22 March 2003Reply With Quote
<GAHUNTER>
posted
Roger,

I am a huge fan of Grand Slam bullets. That said, it's not the perfect bullet for all situations. You have to know its limitations.

As Gatehouse said, the Grand Slam is a premium bullet that is not nearly as premium as some others on the market. What it is, is an extra good "standard" cup and lead core bullet. I've use it on elk, deer and moose and recovered everything I hit, however, I have only had one pass through on elk, and it was hit broadside behind the shoulder.

Recent penetration tests show the Grand Slam to be right in the middle of the spectrum, with X-bullets, Fail-Safes, and Partitions penetrating almost twice as far as Grand Slams. The Grand Slam, however, did penetrate further than any other cup-style bullet and produced a very good wound channel. It performed best at 30-06 velocities, which makes sense. Magnum velocities are poison for most cup-style bullets.

What I love about Speer Grand Slams is their accuracy. I have one 300 Win Mag that loves them to the exclusion of all other (premium) bullets. (Until recently, that is, when I found out that this gun likes Trophy Bonded Bear Claws pretty well also) I am a firm believer in accuracy over terminal performance, unless you are hunting very big game and may not be able to wait for the perfect "behind the shoulder" shot. In this case, a heavier constructed bullet might me in order.

One solution to the bone-and-extreme-angle shot problem is to do what the old timers did when there were no "super bullets" on the market -- go heavy for caliber. This is what I am going to do with 300 WSM that I am taking to Africa later this year. Instead of using the standard 180s that I love so much. I'm taking 60 rounds of 200 grain Grand Slams. These shoot very good in my rifle and the 2800 fps that I am shooting is right in the wheelhouse of being the perfect velocity for this bullet.

Bottom line: use them and decide for yourself if your like them. They will kill most everything out there, but you have to do your part and hit an area that will let it perform to it's potential.