Notify
Tools

Procedures used when working up a new load
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted
Folks,

Just wondering what most handloaders do when working up a new load. Got to thinking whether or not I'm following generally accepted procedures. Since I mostly self taught in this area, I sometime question my routine.

So say I just found the newest, slickest, bullet out there for my '06. (I generally start with picking the bullet). I then consult the various tomes of powder manufactures that either talk about that bullet or one vary similar. I then pick two to three of powders that look like they might do the trick. Usually those powders are the ones that tend to fill the case well and are deemed the most accurate by the authors.

I try to use previously fired (from the rifle to be used) brass. So I size (Usually trying not to set the shoulder back), clean the primer pocket (which has been previous uniformed), chamfer and tumble.

I then load three sets of four bullets in each powder (3 for groups, 1 for me to screw up on whilst pulling the trigger [Wink] ). In the '06 I generally start about 1.5 gns. below the max (as long as amount does not leave the case less that 75% full), and work up to the specified max. Other calibers vary on the powder amounts I increment up with.

I tend to use the same primer type in all loads and use a hand priming tool.

When shooting the load I try to let the barrel cool to a similar temperature (measured with a traceable NIST calibrated hand [Smile] ) between shots.

If I find a some what satisfying group, I then go back to the loading bench and vary the seating depth (again in three groups of four) to fine tune, making sure all rounds fit in the magazine and feed. If none of the originals grouped well, then I might try different powders or start over again with a new bullet.

So what is the consensus? Anything I'm doing wrong, missing steps, etc?

I tend not to sort my brass by weight. Should I?

Does varying the primer types make that much difference and should I try different types before going back to the begining?

Thanks!!!

-Steve

[ 06-01-2002, 17:17: Message edited by: Steve ]

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Everything sounds good, Steve.

Yes, it's been my experience that primers do make differences as large as 50% or so in group size, but if you have a load that shoots sub MOA with one primer, and 2 MOA with another, your load recipe isn't resilient enough, and should be redeveloped.

Have you read the OCW load development threads I've posted here? It seems that you're doing just about everything the same way I do, except that I look for a string of groups that hit the paper in the same spot--in spite of having a .6 grain or so difference in the powder charge.

If you note that 56.5, 56.9, and 57.3 grains of a given powder all cause the bullet to strike in the same general area of the target, but 56.1 and 57.7 grains cause notable deviations from this point of impact, then you know to choose the 56.9 grain charge--even if it doesn't represent the smallest group on that range day.

You may then, if the group isn't MOA or better, try different primers to reduce the group size, and finally, (as you're already wisely doing) alter OAL to fine tune for best accuracy.

Many folks begin with the "magic" distance from the lands that they're convinced their rifle likes, and commence to powder charge variations until that load tightens up. They may accidentally stumble upon a good load in this manner, but more often than not they'll end up with a non-optimized charge weight, and will have sporadic performance from that load--good one day, bad the next, due to changing environmental conditions.

With an OCW (optimal charge weight) load, you'll be able to tolerate minor changes in component lots, as well as changing environmental conditions (both of which will cause pressure increases or decreases, simulating slight powder charge changesWink)...

Dan Newberry
green 788

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve:
Folks,

Just wondering what most handloaders do when working up a new load. Got to thinking whether or not I'm following generally accepted procedures. Since I mostly self taught in this area, I sometime question my routine.

So say I just found the newest, slickest, bullet out there for my '06. (I generally start with picking the bullet). I then consult the various tomes of powder manufactures that either talk about that bullet or one vary similar. I then pick two to three of powders that look like they might do the trick. Usually those powders are the ones that tend to fill the case well and are deemed the most accurate by the authors.

I try to use previously fired (from the rifle to be used) brass. So I size (Usually trying not to set the shoulder back), clean the primer pocket (which has been previous uniformed), chamfer and tumble.

I then load three sets of four bullets in each powder (3 for groups, 1 for me to screw up on whilst pulling the trigger [Wink] ). In the '06 I generally start about 1.5 gns. below the max (as long as amount does not leave the case less that 75% full), and work up to the specified max. Other calibers vary on the powder amounts I increment up with.

I tend to use the same primer type in all loads and use a hand priming tool.

When shooting the load I try to let the barrel cool to a similar temperature (measured with a traceable NIST calibrated hand [Smile] ) between shots.

If I find a some what satisfying group, I then go back to the loading bench and vary the seating depth (again in three groups of four) to fine tune, making sure all rounds fit in the magazine and feed. If none of the originals grouped well, then I might try different powders or start over again with a new bullet.

So what is the consensus? Anything I'm doing wrong, missing steps, etc?

I tend not to sort my brass by weight. Should I?

Does varying the primer types make that much difference and should I try different types before going back to the begining?

Thanks!!!

-Steve

I hope you are doing it right because it is basically what I do and several of my loading buddies also.....The bullet is the most important factor as to typ/use /construction so that is a good starting place....as to brass...if you stick to the same brand it usually doesn't matter...on precision type loads I do weigh the brass when I start the sorting for load-batches and in some smaller calibers it will help...the same with primers....sometimes a different primer will cause a change in grouping but in most loads that I use a good primer from one brand or the other works equally....I DON'T SWAP ONCE I HAVE WORKED UP A LOAD..again on precision target loads I do try different primers but in small rifle stick with Rem 7 1/2 for autos and Fed. BR for bolt guns and try CCI BR if the grouping is almost where I want it but still in the fine tunning stage....seating depth measured with comparator and similar tools seems to stay close in a given gun from my reading and limited 10 gun/experience......in small cases small load/powder changes can make a difference and it takes larger changes in the larger hunting type cases.....good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
Once your necks are trimmed/turned you don't want to bang them up in a tumbler.

I load 0.5 gr. increments and ten rds. per increment until I find the "window" for the load. Then I load twenty rds. per increment -- sometimes thirty rds.

Test with five shot groups. A three shot group may not provide enough data. Variables in three shots can be significant.

Chronograph the loads. This is key. Increases in charge weight should provide a complimentary increase in velocity. When you begin to reach maximum pressures, your velocity increases start to flatten out. You want a fair amount of data in your sample for this. Standard Deviation in a three shot group can skew your data and make it unreliable. (Standard Deviation puts 2/3 of your rds within the deviation of your mean velocity. If your velocity is 3000 fps and your SD is 20, then 2/3 of your rds will have velocities between 2990 fps and 3010 fps.)

I take a calculator, magnifying glass, and micrometer to the range. I record ballistic data on a loose leaf spiral and make lots of notes. Let's add here that I'm loading .223 Ackley Improved and "wildcatting" the load data from .223 Rem. Loads typically run 10% to 20% above published "maximum" data for .223 Rem. I'm loading to the point where I see pressure indicators in the brass -- and I use a micrometer, magnifying glass to ensure that I see these signs. The calculator and chronograph provide quantifiable data.

Mixed brass will result in considerable variation in pressure data. Brass capacity varies from brand to brand and even mfg. lot to lot in a single brand. I sort my brass according to the number of times it's been reloaded. Bench shooters weigh and sort their brass.

Trim length and seating depth are crucial in determining working pressure. I run a micrometer on my cases and try to keep trim length plus/minus 0.0005" (five-ten thousandths).

The more variables you eliminate from your loads, the more accurate your loads will be. When working up a wildcat load you want consistency so that you get consistent working pressures.

Varmint Al discusses brass preparation and reloading:

http://www.cctrap.com/~varmint/arelo.htm

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Guy's,

Sorry that I didn't reply yesterday. It was a nice day here in the PNW and I went rafting the Klikitat river. Beautiful river, BTW.

Thanks for the tips, pointers, and suggestions. You've all given me a few thing to ponder. I really need to get a cronograph and I'll be looking at Varmint Al's pages again.

Take Care,

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
You're just down the street.

I'm in Tualatin -- more or less.

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Genghis,

You're not far at all. Maybe we should get together at Tri-County one of these days (I'm a member if your not).

Sheister lives about 5 minutes from me and Allen Day lives in Dundee. Spike is also from around here.

Perhaps a Portland Area AR get together is in order...

-Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
I live in Gresham,and belong to Douglas Ridge [Smile]
Z

Perhaps a Portland Area AR get together is in order...

-Steve[/QB][/QUOTE]

Posts: 95 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest you get a flash-hole deburring tool, for consistant ignition. That might lead to smaller extreme spreads and standard deviations.

And also a good quality bench rest ( Witchita etc..) and shooting bags (Protektor etc.)to help get the human error out of your groups as much as possible.

And definetly get a chronograph.

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote