New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is a 6mm Sabre?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've recently come across a rebarreled gun with the caliber stamp "6mm Sabre". I have no idea what this is, do you? THANKS!

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone?

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i believe that i heard of it reading one of ackleys books - i'll see what i can find

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RCBS makes dies for it, but that's all I've found. This is a real puzzler.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I found the RCBS die listing, but no mention of what the parent case is. I have also found reference to a .263 Sabre, but likewise no case specifications.

The gun I've seen is a nicely done rebarrel of a Ruger No. 1. It is out of an estate and the person who is disposing of the property knows guns fairly well but has no clue on this one. I might like to try to buy it if I could figure out what it is.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
You may have to contact RCBS to see if they can help you. There was an article in the April 1990 edition of Precision Shooting referencing this caliber. That may help.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what i find is a reference to a 263 sabre, which looks like a 6.5/06 with a bit less shoulder angle, the only 6mm i find is a 243 JS which says is is the smallest belted series of jerry shannon (who did the 263 sabre) the 243js shows a load of 50 gr of 4350 and a 85 gr bullet for 3600 fps. the good ckley book also said that cases for the 243js were available from note-taylor 112 buena vista, decatur ill. it lists jerry shannon as being from spanawsay washington. seems like you may have some fun on your hands on this one. it would have probably been interesting to have met the owner of the piece, must have been some kind of gun nut

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
The .263 Sabre is a cartridge devloped by Jerry Shannon of Spanaway, Washington in the 1950s. It is based on the full-length .30-06 brass with the same body taper as an '06, but with a 35-degree shoulder. So it is basically an "improved" 6.5-06....

A drawing of the cartridge, with specs, is on page 248 of John J. Donnelly's book "The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions", while a picture of the cartridge is provided on Page 365 of P.O. Ackley's book "Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders".

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remembered that I have a copy fo Cartridges of the World, so I looked in it. It's not even in there. Wow.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Never heard of it...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I did not find either round listed in the two hard-bound volumes of Ackley's books, but he also published a couple of spiral soft-bound vaolumes, and there are some rounds in those that aren't in the hardbound ones.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did find that RCBS lists it as using the #4 shellholder head -- belted magnum. Mystery grows deeper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IN one reference that I have seen they writer said that the 22 Sabre, falls between the 221 Fireball and 22 Cricket in terms of performance, then there is a further reference to how cases are easily made from 357 Magnum brass, I thought in short that the 22 and 6 mm Sabre were short cased wildcats made on 357 Mag brass for contenders and similar rifles.

However I am unsure, could there be more than one Sabre?

Listed here, http://mcgowengunsmithing.com/price%20list.htm

Best regards Chris

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesRCBS hopes to be able to give us the demensions tommorow when they call. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
make a chamber cast or have one made. Should be able to narrow it down a bit from there.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
coffeeRCBS called back this morning. The cartridge is a necked down blown out to 40 degree shouldered .264 Win. case. The case's length is a tad over 2.1".

RCBS will sell dies for this cartridge for $280.00

The exact chamber demensions can be gotten from JGS the reamer people. popcornroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ouch - whata barrel burner that must be

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bartshe,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it is almost a 6.5 Rem necked down with a 40 degree shoulder. The 6.5 Rem has a case length of 2.17". In performance, it would be very close to a 6mm/284 or 6mm/06.