Find
Notify
Tools

OT: Active hearing protection
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
I figure we reloaders are also high volume shooters and have more than the average experience with different electronic hearing protecton, so I'll ask here.

I was looking at some different ear muffs with the electronic amplifier/deadener systems...you know those that have a microphone to amplify low noises and block out/muffle loud ones, like gunfire!
What are some of the better ones? Cabelas has one by Peltor pretty cheap, and they have the behind the neck support, not over the head, so it will work better with hats.

Peltor tactical 6

Experiences? Better ones for similar money? I mostly want them for the group dove shoots coming up. My ears always ring for days afterwards, and regular muffs/plugs drown out the bird flight sounds...making me miss a few by never seeing them.

Thanks!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried the Peltor Sound Trap model recently and was impressed enough to buy a pair . What I really like is that they don't interfere with the comb of the stock due to the low profile design .
When the volume is turned right up they don't seem to be far behind my natural hearing .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpb:
I have a pair of the Peltor Tac 7's.

I wish I had bought them years before I did!

Most confortable pair of muffs I've had (electronic or conventional). They don't interfere with my stock (even though they seem large).

Crank up the volume, and you can hear a mouse fart at 50 paces (measured by rangefinder.. :-) You can also really easily tell from which direction the sound came from -- way better than with any other electronic muff I've tried.

The only downside is that the wire running through the headband and into the ear cups looks like it would let water in (so don't wear them in the rain unless you have a hat!)

John

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote