THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading Equipment Advice For Beginner?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi everyone,

Would someone be kind enough to recommend some equipment for me to begin learning to reload? I would like to start loading for my .375H&H.

I see starter kits advertised on some web pages, but I can't access very much information on the web due to the fact that I'm on a work computer which blocks most shooting related sites. Thank goodness I can still come to AR! Anyway, I won't be home for a week or so, but would like to order some stuff up now so it's there when I get home.

After browsing through old topics on this forum and a couple others, I'm still not clear what I'll need...so figured I'd ask for help.

I don't want to upgrade stuff after I get going, so would like to buy good quality stuff right off the get-go. If I can get set up for $500-$700, that would be great.

Thanks for the help.
David

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had the rcbs Jr since 1972. I have heard good things on the RCBS pro 2000 progressive reloader, check it out on www.midwayusa.com [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
since you are starting with a rifle i would suggest a heavy duty single stage press. i bought a bonanza co-ax press and after 11 years would recommend it. dies are easy to adjust and slip in and out saving set up time. a mechanical scale with 3 poises, i prefer hornady, a check weight set, an rcbs ram prime die, bonanza, rcbs, redding dies. that is my personal choice. the quality of major brands of reloading equipment is high, the comments you will receive and personal choice is one way of deciding

Posts: 107 | Location: alabama | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Unfortunately, I can't access midwayusa.com from this computer. I'll call them and see what they say.

thanks again.

david

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
For the .375 H&H I'd choose the RCBS rockchucker start kit.

Buy it at www.midsouthshooterssupply.com

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I second the RCBS Rockchucker kit. That's what I bought when I started reloading (mostly for pistols) back in college. Now I reload for at least a dozen different cartridges (plus what I do for pals) and the old Rockchucker is still chucking. It's not the great for churning out volume, but it works as well as most folks will ever need. If you want to burn up hundreds of rounds of pistol ammo per week, get a Dillon.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also recomend the RCBS Rockchucker. However, in addition I would get the Hornady Lock & Load conversion kit for it. It speeds the process of changing dies to a level equal to the Forester/Bonanza press, yet costs less and produces the same high quality ammo.

[ 08-22-2003, 20:01: Message edited by: J.W. Blute ]

Posts: 322 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
The Rockchucker kit yes. A very easy way to speed things up is to add a second single stage press (Jr. or other) for bullet seating - use the RC for resizing.

AND before you buy anything else, read everything you can on the reloading process to make sure you can understand and enjoy it! It's safe when done right, but if you don't...watch out!

[ 08-22-2003, 20:11: Message edited by: sonofagun ]

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've been using a Hornady 007 for riflecalibers for the last ten years and I'm very pleased with it.

Posts: 6 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DavidAk:
[QB]Hi everyone,

Would someone be kind enough to recommend some equipment for me to begin learning to reload? I would like to start loading for my .375H&H.

I see starter kits advertised on some web pages, but I can't access very much information on the web due to the fact that I'm on a work computer which blocks most shooting related sites. Thank goodness I can still come to AR! Anyway, I won't be home for a week or so, but would like to order some stuff up now so it's there when I get home.

After browsing through old topics on this forum and a couple others, I'm still not clear what I'll need...so figured I'd ask for help.

I don't want to upgrade stuff after I get going, so would like to buy good quality stuff right off the get-go. If I can get set up for $500-$700, that would be great.

Thanks for the help........I also reccomend the RCBS Rockchucker kit.....try to get the new Supreme version..it is slightly longer in ram stroke and this would be nice for your 375.....you will NEVER out grow a good single stage deluxe press.....and RCBS sets the standard of the industry on customer support....Redding and Hornady,Forster and others make great equipment also and some speciality items are made by other companies that are super nice but it is hard to beat RCBS for single stage equipment and Dillon for the progressive pistol type loading .......get a good manual, a steel dialtype caliper and a good location to mount and store your equipment with GOOD lighting and any problems or questions come to the board for answers and/or opinions.....enjoy the process..good luck and good shooting-loading!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently started reloading again after a 30 year hiatus. I found that purchasing a reloading manual first was very helpful, as they often have introductory chapters which go over the entire process and provide lots of info. I picked up a new copy of Speer's #12 for $10 (not the latest version). You should have no problem getting set-up for less than $500. MidwayUSA has a Master Catalog which will show you a lot of equipment, some necessary and some not, but you will get a lot out of it - and they do provided great service, in my experience. This probably won't help you short-term, though.

Just realize that although the kits (such as the RCBS Rockchucker Kit - a good choice, especially for a 375 H&H) are a good place to start, there will be plenty of other items you will find desireable or necessary in the near future - just ask my checkbook! Some "extras" that come to mind that I found helpful during my first month include:

A digital caliper/micrometer (new on eBay for under $20)

A primer pocket cleaner (Lee $2 from MidWayUSA)

A system for trimming cases (I was surprised how quickly they grow - I was trimming cases after the second use of moderate loads) - I went with a Trim Die from RCBS

Lots of storage boxes for the cases during the various stages of reloading.

And don't forget that you will probably want to find a local source for the powder. Good Luck.

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool..this is just what I was hoping for. I'm going to order a few things by phone today and see how it goes..

thanks!
david