Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester XTR background
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted
Owning two of them (300 WM and 243 W - this one has a cocking indicator in red) I don�t really know what I�ve got in my hands ... obviously I do know about its performance and what to expect about them ... but, what about its background ? How is this model "ranked" in the winchester family ?

In rather short terms I'm researching the history of the Winchester Model 70 XTR...

Can anyone tell me when the Model 70 XTR was first offered, and when it was discontinued. Also appreciated would be any additional info on the special feaures of the XTR (action, trigger, barrel type/length, stock characteristics, type of wood/metal used, calibers offered). The USRAC website isn't very helpful and indicates the XTR only came out in 1986. I've seen examples that date back to 1978! I hope that there may be some regulars with a little knowledge on Winchester rifles that can help me out here.

BTW, I have posted this same question in other forums (only trying to have my solicitude been read by as many members as possible ...)

Thank you all in advance ...

Afrikaander

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
The European XTR was made only in 1986 and as a featherweight. Only caliber available is 6.5x55. Original cost around $460, current value around $240.

The XTR Ultra Grade was a "1 of 1000" gun in .270 Winchester. Came with a mahogany case. Original cost was around $5000, current value aroudn $950.

The whole concept behind the entire XTR line was that it means extra...the wood is a little nicer, to polishing fo the metal is a little nicer, and there is generally better checkering.

The XTR level of finish was a little more accepted in the 94 and 9422 lever actions and in the shotgun line.

Shotguns first saw it in 1978, with the Model 23.

In 1974 the Model 94 was released in XTR finish.

In 1985 the 9422 was made available with the XTR finish.

In 1988 the 1300 shotgun.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
The Model 70 Featerweight and Sporter also had the XTR Suffix,it was dropped in 1989.

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote