Find
Notify
Tools

reloading safely
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
I am new to reloading, and read as much info as i can. I have read a couple reloading manuals and try to sponge up as much info as possible. I want to assemble all of my loads with precision, but most of all i want them to be safe. With a couple stories of blown up guns floating around. I neither wanna get hurt nor blow up a $600 rifle. So my question is what are some tips that will keep me out of trouble. I realize using the wrong powder is prolly the most common mistake and I try as best i can to be careful with the powder for one I don't even bother reloading at all for my pistol.

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
<1badassmagnum>
posted
reloading is a very safe hobby,as long as you keep focused on what your doing.go slow and get the process down,double checking visually your powder charge as you place bullet for seating,check your powder throws occaisionally,check col on a regular basis and enjoy.after a few hundred rounds you will most likely feel more confident,and I imagine after shooting some you will want to handload more calibers.its fun and lets you spend more time at the range for less money.it is addicting,just like shooting.

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Concentrate on what you're doing, and minimize distractions. When you're loading is no time to chit-chat with your buddies, watch TV, or ANYTHING that takes your mind off what you're doing. If something just feels or looks weird, go back over it again, and check it out. After a while, you'll get a routine down and the double checks become second nature.

NEVER allow more than one can of powder on the bench at a time. Sounds simple, but that one thing has probably been the cause of more blowups than anything else.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey cowboy, Good question!

Buy a couple of Component Manufacturers Manuals or at least get the FREE handouts from the Powder Manufacturers. Get the Manuals from the folks whose products you will be using.

Then cross-check Loads to determine where a SAFE "starting point" is for Developing a Load. Shoot 1-3 watching for Excessive Pressure Signs and if you see them - STOP!

There are a lot of well intentioned guys out in the world who will share Loads with you that work well for them in their firearms. Remember the information they give you, but NEVER duplicate one of those Loads and just take off shooting. You ALWAYS need to Develop a Load from below. The reason for this is because what is SAFE in someone else's firearm may or may not be SAFE in yours.

If you can find an experienced reloader near you(that you trust), visit him to get started. Learn properly from the beginning and you will have no reason to be concerned about blowing up a firearm.

[ 01-18-2003, 19:51: Message edited by: Hot Core ]

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CC

All of the above is good advice.

1. Don�t let yourself get distracted, focus on reloading.
2. Only one can of powder on the bench at a time (I�ll add, only one caliber of bullets and matching brass on the bench at a time).
3. Work up on your loads.
4. Don�t use others reloads (if you must, duplicate them yourself with your components and work up to their load).
5. Run a log of each component combination for each rifle.
6. Exceeding listed loads is not a good idea.

Take your time and enjoy the new hobby

Kind regards
cjw3

Posts: 189 | Location: Was Kansas, USA - Now South Australia | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The reason that I wear these glasses is that I forgot to wear my safety glasses while reloading! You only get one set of eyes, take care of 'em. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy two loading blocks (MTM are my favs) and put one on either side of your powder measure. Put all cases neck-down on the left block, and start dispensing powder normally, taking a case from the left block, adding the powder charge, and putting it neck up (obviously! [Big Grin] ) on the right hand block. Reverse if you are a leftie!

reloader-1

Edit: I forgot to mention what the end of all these convoluted high-jinks were... The two case block powder dispensing method helps you to avoid "double-charging" a case and blowing your prized $600 tackdriver to itsy-bitsy little pieces (hopefully, not including parts of your own body [Smile] )

[ 01-19-2003, 08:38: Message edited by: reloader-1 ]

Posts: 270 | Location: Central Pa | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Never think, This is the last cartridge I loaded so everything will be the same...........because I've been wrong. Start fresh, check all your settings like It's the first time.
When you throw powder, take a second to look in the cases while they are in the loading block. This will tell you alot.
Reloading is fun.....Don't be scared [Wink]

Posts: 4 | Location: Central Pa. | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
1. Buy a chronograph.
2. When your velocity is around the listed velocity given by the reloading manuals, stop. Don't go over even is the books say you can go another 5 grains. You are at the maximum pressure.
3. The myth of "pressure signs" is just that. By the time you see the classic symptoms you are around 70-80,000psi. You back off but you will still be way over the safety zone.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote