Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

problems: need help
 Login/Join

posted
I am fairly new at reloading. I am having problems with my handloads fitting right in my bolt action rifles. The bolts are closing hard, and you can see where the bolt is srubbing on the case face. I have reset my dies, tried shortening by seatting deaper.
I have shot some of them. They function fine. In my 270 bolt they are tight, but function fine in my Browning BAR. They seem to shoot good groups also.
Please help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
DO YOU USE rcbs dies,what is your load,how do you adjust sizer,how many reloads,neck sizing or FLR,P-FLR,give more info...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey hookedup

First tell us how you are adjusting your die and what kind of die it is. Is it an RCBS full length die or some other brand. Most of the time the die is not screwed in far enough to set the shoulder back and the cases will be tight in the chamber.

Next try chambering a sized case before you prime it, add powder, or seat a bullet. It's possible that you are seating the bullet too far out and they are touching the lands. That will lead to tight chambering.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am using Rcbs FL dies. I am screwing it in until it touches the shell holder, and then adding about 1/4 of a turn just like the book says. I have even tried putting marker all over a dummy round and chambering. Can't see any marks on bullet or anywhere. i am having the same problem with 3 rifles. Rem mod7 243,Rem 700 270, And a brand new savage 270 wsm. I also load for 2 pumps, and a Bar and have no problems.
I really don't think the bullet is to far out because I have tried it really deap and it still does it. I think it is probably a shoulder problem.
On the 243 I have tried to set the sizer die deeper. It took the tightness out ,but the pimer started to push out of the case. I showed it to the local reload/ gun store and he said the primer was not due to pressure. This was happening at minimal load.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
How are you setting the bullet seating die? Are you setting it far enough back not to put a crimp on the bullet. I did that once, now I back the bullet seating die back off the shell holder 2 full turns.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I just tried resetting my sizer die a little lower and it seemed to help on the short mag. I chambered one of my old sized cases and they where tight. After changing the die the new setting seems to be loooser. Now hopefuly I didn't go to far.

one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
Are these single shot rifles or do they have a magazine box?

Posts: 246 | Location: Argyle, TX | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have long ?chamber,wide may be.First try adjust sizer 1/4 turn before touching shell holder,then adjust by 1/32 turn at a time,check if the reload chamber easily..Make sure your seater doesnt make contact with the shoulder of the case...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
All three are bolt with clip or box. What do you mean long chamber? It semms if chamber was long the bolt would close fine. Could you explain a little more? Also noticed that now on my short mag I am seeing a little ding in the shoulder area about the same as if the firing hits in the primer. This is after I cranked my sizer die to about another 1/4 of a turn from where I had it set. It is only doing it to winchester cases, not federal.