New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 Classic in 6.5 X 55 anyone?
 Login/Join

<Sawblade>
posted
Does anyone own this gun? I have one and am currently shooting 120 ballistic tips over 44.5 grains of IMR 4350. Very accurate but I have no clue as to the velocity I'm getting. Anyone shoot a similiar load in this gun and know what kind of velocity you're getting? For some reason, and I don't know why, my gut feeling is that this is a pretty weak load. A friend does my reloading for me and worked up this load, thus the reason for my ignorance. I'm currently getting set up to do my own reloading so I won't have so many stupid questions in the future!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Thanks!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the identical unit and it has proven to be a real keeper. I am able to use 49.5 gr 4350 with the old 120 gr Nosler Solid Base at 2980 f/s so I would guess the velocity of your load at 2750-2800 f/s. My load uses Norma brass and I have loaded 5-6 times so far with no problems. This loading almost duplicates the 25-06. This is an exceptional rifle that can cover 95% of deer hunting situations.

BR

Posts: 174 | Location: ,Alberta ,Canada | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sawblade - IF your friend is loading these cartridges as he says he is, it would be a reasonable load. Shows to be middle of the road in the new Nosler Manual. And the velocity should be right about where Battle River suggests. I say IF because he may be loading them lighter than he says just to protect himself from any possible injury to you. Reloading someone else's bullets is a pretty serious responsibility today.

Or, depending on the difference between rifles, this load may be "light" in your rifle...but I wouldn't ask someone else to load me "hot" or maximum loads....nor would I do it if they asked me. He's just doing you a favor until you get tooled up building your own and then you can have the fun of finding your own best loads.

Shoot them and enjoy. We look forward to when YOU are a reloader and telling us about YOUR discoveries. Get in the swim, my friend. [Smile]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Leo M
posted Hide Post
I too have the same gun. I use 48 grains of IMR 4831 with a 125 grain Nosler partition. Hot but no signs of pressure, not sure what the velocity is but I am going to check.

Posts: 188 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 25 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Sawblade>
posted
Pecos45,
I understand your point about "he may be protecting himself". That makes perfectly good sense but in this case I'm sure I'm getting what I pay for, because several years ago I bought this rifle from him and this was the load he was shooting in it. But, it does aggravate me to have to go to him for this service. Won't be long and I'll never have to ask again! I'm ready to start experimenting myself!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
You may in the interrim try the hornady light magnums, heard they shoot pretty good. If you know someone looking for a Rem 6.5 classic I may have one for sale in the next few weeks, about 98%.

RJS

Posts: 210 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 03 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does Hornady make the light mags for the Swede?

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Sawblade>
posted
How much?

one of us
posted Hide Post
here's hornady's page, my dealer sells them for about $20 a box if I remember right. You should be able to find them on the web at a reasonable price if you dealer doesn't carry hornady.

https://gateway.hornady.com/cgi-bin/web_store.cgi?page=storehome.html&cart_id=

http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product/hornady/HornadyAmmunition.htm

[ 07-15-2002, 21:26: Message edited by: RJS ]

Posts: 210 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 03 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Sawblade>
posted
No, I meant how much for the gun?