Notify
Tools

Trail Boss project for SEAFIRE?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Hey Seafire -

I was reading your posts re the Trail Boss powder in .30-30 "Whisper" loads, and got a brain spasm... Would be a lot of work for you (or at least a little). Would help clods like me a lot.

Maybe you could do some pouring, weighing, and data reading to come up with a chart of loads which would fill some cartridge cases completely, but would not exceed general operating max pressures with any of the "standard" bullets for those cartridges?

For instance, would 14 grains of Trailboss fill a 30-30 case completely, but still be a safe load under a standard 170 gr, bullet, either cast or jacketed? If so, it would be a cartridge (and load) included on the chart. How about 21 grs Trailboss and a 130 gr. bullet in a .270? And so on.

Object here is to get a chart where Traiboss could be used like "bulk smokeless" was used in the old days.

When we needed to load while out in the woods those days, we could just reprime, neck size with a 310 Tong Tool, and scoop the cartridge case full of powder, then cram the bullet in. Was handy as H-E-double-toothpick, remember?

Heck, then you could even send it to Dave Scovill and see if he would publish it in Rifle magazine (and maybe give you a little money for it)?

Whadda-ya think?

AC

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote