New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quick a
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
SmilerI reformed 20-7.7 cases from 30/06 cases and along with 30 more Norma cases I anealed the necks on all of them. I used a lee case holder, for the Lee hand trimmer, and put it in a drill. Then with my propane torch setting up on the bench I put a case in the holder and tightened it lightly. Then with the drill running I put the case in the flame until I begin to see the trailing flame turn a light orange. Then lossene dthe case holder and let the case fall into a container of water. i tonly took a few minutes to do the whole bunch and worked great!

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I stand the cases in a tray of water ,heat with torch and tip over.

That way I can do lots for them in a shorter time.

But your way sounds slower but it should work good.

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never annealed cases, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that it was best to put them in a tray of water in order to prevent overheating the case head and risking a major failure...?

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Screw the drill/holder BS (great way to ruin your brass). To soft is worse that to hard.

T-Moore
The stand in water methiod works to prevent case head overheating, but it is slow to set up if you have a lot to do (not to mention having more than one fall over when you do the tip). If you use your fingers to hold the brass, you won't over heat the casehead (drop it if if starts to get warm, no finger burns). Darken the room (makes it easier to see the color change), and when you see the neck start to turn red, drop the case into a bucket of water. Takes less than 30 seconds per case once your set up.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote