New
Find
Notify
Tools

7.62x39/180gr bullet load development
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So one of my favorite rifles is a Zastava M85 Lux lefty in 7.62x39. First rifle I ever bought myself fully assembled, and it's a tack driver with the Prvi-Partzian 7.62x39 123gr SP ammo-if I pay attention to what I'm doing it will put 4 holes touching, and then I'll jerk one out to the side. It will string vertically if I shoot a LOT in a hurry, but that's not it's purpose-and if I shoot five or six and wait a bit for it to cool, it maintains POI as well as I could ask.

I learned to reload by reloading 7.62x39 using 24gr of IMR4198 under a Hornady 123gr SST bullets. These have a noticable increase in muzzle report and recoil over the PPU loading-and honestly they group like dog crap would if loaded over the same charge. No hard bolt lift or stuck cases, everything extracts easily and the primers are fully flattened, but do not extrude back around the firing pin nor have any ruptured or bulged. Case head expansion is zero-none-nada. So, while a safe load for my rifle, not terribly accurate.

I tried instead RL-7 at 23gr, and it was quite a bit better accuracy and muzzle report-wise, but still not as good. I shot a 1lb canister of powder with this load over the course of a year and I could go for that again-it worked well.

The 24gr IMR4198 charge was chosen based on the Lee Die set I started with-and I see it's pretty well a max load. The RL-7 charge of 23gr was suggested to me by a local reloader, who looked it up in his book for me.

Now, I have about 95 0.311" diameter 180gr Remington SPRN bullets that are *probably* from the 70's, if I had to go by the box construction. I figure these were for a .303 British reloader, as they came in a large box of Herter's brand reloading supplies that was given to me-a LARGE box.

My rifle normally would shoot a 0.310" diameter 123gr or 154gr bullet. Seating the 0.311" in an empty case, at the lowest cannulure, chambers easily and does not engrave rifling on the bullet, and seems as though it could be used. I have seen reference to these being used in other's loading-but as I'm fairly green, I'm asking to be sure.

Since then, I've bought a reloading book for this caliber and have data for 123 and 154gr bullets, but not for 180gr.

What can a more experienced reloader suggest, considering I have about half a pound of IMR4198 on hand? Is this powder going to be suitable or will I need something slower for the heavier bullet? I am using CCI 200 LR primers.

Posts: 67 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: 23 December 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wolfram Just because a particular load is accurate in someones rifle does not mean it will be accurate in yours. You may have to try several different powders and several bullets before you find a combination that your rifle likes.You indicated you started loading using a Lee hand tool. I assume you are using the single plastic powder scoop to measure out you powder charge. I would suggest the first thing you should do is buy yourself a powder scale. If you are finding 24 grs is near max.Try loading say 21 grs and 22 grs and 23 grs. Load 4 or 5 of each and mark the case with a felt marker so they don't get mixed up . Shoot those and see if any of those group better. You may also want to try seating the bullets out a little further. Many rifles shoot better with the bullets say .010" off of the rifling. As for your 180 gr bullets they are a little heavy for the x39. I would suggest you try and trade them for a lighter bullet at a gun show. Hope some of this helps

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Very cool little round to handload. A capable Deer hunting round out to intermediate range. I have a Mini-30, SKS, Remington 799 (M85 barreled action in a Remington laminate stock) and Ruger No.1-A.

I can load the Hornady .308 180gr RNSP at 2125 fps (or a 123gr at 2700 fps) muzzle speed in my Ruger No.1-A. Quite a strong action with generous throat length. Has a 22" 1:9.5" twist .310 groove diameter barrel but accuracy is ok with .308 bullets.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Foursixteen
Where did you get your loading data to begin working on the 170 and 180 grain bullets?

This year I used a 7.62x39 in an AR15 to take 2 Whitetails, both one shot kills, was very pleased with the results.
My load used .308" 130 grain bullets and TAC powder.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
170/180gr loads are my own creations specifically for my No.1 (.308 170gr NP does 2200 fps from my No.1 with ok accuracy).
My other 7.62x39 rifles aren't safely capable of firing these loads. I would have to back off the powder charge (and reduce OAL) to standard maximum pressure level to get 1700 to 1800 fps muzzle speed.

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
.308 130gr vs .310 123gr accuracy from my No.1 compared.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That Prvi-Partzian is just good stuff all the way round, ain't it?

I'm tempted to do as suggested here and trade off these 75 bullets-I have a large box of stuff that was given to me when I started asking the local old timers about reloading at the gun club.

If I were to post what I have that I think I'll never use in the Classifieds section, I have no idea what it would be worth. Is there a place I can post it where people can help me learn what it's worth if it's worth anything at all?

Posts: 67 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: 23 December 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Offer them for trade one for one of something you want or can use.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a guide you could start with loads for the .300 Blackout and work up from there. Several sources list 175-190 grain bullets in that slightly smaller cartridge.

Posts: 13246 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote