New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lil' Gun in .454?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Seems that most full power loads for the big .45 call for one of the twin brothers, H110 / W296. I've seen some reference to Lil Gun and while digging around for more load data, came across some confliction info. In the article Heavy Bullets in the 45 Colt it says "In every case, Hodgdons new powder Lil'Gun outperformed H110. It generates more velocity with less powder and apparently less pressure than H110 in every caliber I've tried it in thus far." In another article Penetration Test at the Linebaugh Seminar it says "We also learned that Hodgdon�s Lil� Gun powder is unsuitable for high velocity loads as the pressure and recoil tend to increase significantly, a fact that was taught by my front sight to my forehead."
Can anybody confirm that Lil' Gun is unsuitable in hot loads due to a sharp pressure increase near max?
Thanks!

Posts: 131 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done some high pressure 45 loads with LIL'GUN and 1.4" OAL. I have also done high pressure shooting with LIL'GUN in 357 mag and 32 S&W long.

It is my observation that LIL'GUN will often outperform H110/W296, but not always.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Waterfowler:
Seems that most full power loads for the big .45 call for one of the twin brothers, H110 / W296. I've seen some reference to Lil Gun and while digging around for more load data, came across some confliction info. In the article Heavy Bullets in the 45 Colt it says "In every case, Hodgdons new powder Lil'Gun outperformed H110. It generates more velocity with less powder and apparently less pressure than H110 in every caliber I've tried it in thus far." In another article Penetration Test at the Linebaugh Seminar it says "We also learned that Hodgdon�s Lil� Gun powder is unsuitable for high velocity loads as the pressure and recoil tend to increase significantly, a fact that was taught by my front sight to my forehead."
Can anybody confirm that Lil' Gun is unsuitable in hot loads due to a sharp pressure increase near max?
Thanks!

Lil Gun is faster burning then H110-W296, it is closer to 2400 in its burning rate. I think you'll find that with lighter bullets, ie 250 gr, it'll be a good powder, and will probably be an equal powder to H110-W296 with 300 gr bullets.

I've worked up loads with Lil gun in my 480, and find with 400 gr bullets, it is on par with H110-W296. I haven't had a chance to work up loads with the 310 gr bullets to see what it'll do.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote