Find
Notify
Tools

257 Weatherby non lead bullet choice
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CLL
posted
As most of you have heard , the State of California passed laws pertaining to the ban of the use of lead bullets in hunting calibres , for a large portion of the state . What I'm looking for is good info on reloading for a Barnes or similar type bullet . My dad has shot 117 grain BTSP Hornadys for years and most follow up shots were with a camera . I honestly dont belive a solid copper bullet is a better mouse trap , if they dont shoot well . I find it more ethical to fire the most precise accurate bullet per the firearm . Talking of thin skinned game , plenty have been taken with soft tipped lead core of various manufactures . So if anyone has true findings on a bullet in the 90 - 120 weight class , with any accuracy please post . I'm looking for groups that can compare with the soft points that have already proven themselves for years .

I Might Be Tired From Hunting ,
But I Will Never Tire Of Hunting .

Posts: 200 | Location: CA,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Agreed, stupid law based on junk science.

I know several folks that use the 100 and 120 barnes out of 257 wetherbies and get fine accuracy and terminal performance. I'd get a box of each and see what your rifle prefers.

One heads up is that barnes tend to prefer all copper fouling removed. So have at your barrel with JB compound and CR-10 to get it squeky clean, then work up your loads.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
I have been using CR-10 to scrub with , Barnes is claiming less fouling with the TSX . Just want to get feel for what weight is getting better results . I have Vangaurd 24" SS barrel .

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 100 TSX is a killing machine in the .257 Wby. Load them with RL22 to about 3600 fps, they will still penetrate end to end on a whitetail. They are pretty much one-holers in my Mk V. The barrel on mine does foul pretty bad, but yours may be different.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CLL

I am not what one would call an all copper bullet freak, but when my wife and I have used them they have killed very well.

Also, it seem that people report either excellent accuracy or bad accuracy depending on the particular barrel.

All the Barnes X or Winchester Fail save bullets have been in factory loads, but they have all been very accurate in my barrels.

Also if you carry a handgun when the "Condor" area be sure it had non lead bullets in it as well. Cor-Bon DPX bullets are "certified" by the State of Calif as lead free.

Also I would clean my vehicle out real good for any "stray" lead bullets.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Let us know what shoots well in your gun. I shoot a .257 Wby Mag in the Vanguard and it shoots both 100 and 117 grain lead bullets great. I'm interested in knowing how the all copper works for you as I've thought of trying it. I also use RL22 with great results.

Good luck.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
Just checking in . I still hav'nt heard of the coppers out shooting any other conventional bullet types , in the accuracy department . Is there someone that shoots TSX , E-TIPS , Green tips , or the likes plainy because they shoot better than any other load ? I appreciate all input on this forum so thanks for the responces. I am not against "eco-friendly" bullets . I am deffinetly for accurate bullets.

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 100 grain TSXs out of my 257 Vanguard stainless sporter. It shoots nice small clover leafs flying right at 3500 fps. I'm using Fed 215 primers and IMR-7828. I worked off of the Barnes nr 3 manual which showed a max load of 70 grains if my memory serves me correctly. Very accurate and the TSXs can handle the velocity even up close.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote