New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm Hornady 105gr Amax
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought some 6mm 105gr Amax's & I noticed that they are recommnded for a 1:9" twist barrel. What should I expect to see shooting them from a 1:10" twist barrel?

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Longer bullets generall require faster twist, they (may) not stabalize but you can't tell until you try them in your rifle. The ogive may extend far back enough so that they may actually work in your rifle.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvy barrel:
I just bought some 6mm 105gr Amax's & I noticed that they are recommnded for a 1:9" twist barrel. What should I expect to see shooting them from a 1:10" twist barrel?
The length of the bullet determines what twist is required to stabilize it, rather than weight. I use Speer 105-grain flatbase spitzers in my 6mm/.284, which has a 1/10" twist. They work. But the Hornadys might not, if they are significantly longer.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a chance that the rifle I am testing these in may need to be rebarreled. If I went with a 1:9" twist would 70gr Nosler BT's still work well or would that be too much twist for that particular bullet?

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvy barrel:
There is a chance that the rifle I am testing these in may need to be rebarreled. If I went with a 1:9" twist would 70gr Nosler BT's still work well or would that be too much twist for that particular bullet?

You'll have no problem with a 9 twist and 70 grain bullets, expect under 1/2moa with the Noslers, Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That twist will do just fine for the 70 grain BT. You can't, within reason, overstabilize a bullet. But you can certainly understabilize one...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
hvy barrel:
Here is some actual experience with the 105 A-Max's. In my 6mm-06 which has a 10" twist, the A-Max's gave me groups in the high 3's and low 4's at 100 yds. I thought this is it! But at 200 they opened up to 3". At that point I gave up on them, and went to the Hornady 87HPBT at 3675Fps. Great 400+ yard p-dog bullet and load combination.

That said, if I was to build another 6mm, and wanted to use the 105's, which I think is a great bullet, I would twist it 9 even 8.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote