New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rethinking my arsenal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
There have been several threads here recently dealing with folks arsenals, what they have and why. It has made me think about what I have, what I use, and what I could use. I think the time has come to pare down what I have, and replace and/or rework some of what I have to fit my useage better. It is a hard decision, because I never get rid of anything as far as firearms go, but I think it is time.

First to go will probably be the whole Encore system. Even though the .223 rifle setup is okay, it is just not really what I want, and I never use my pistol barrels anymore. So I have two 15" pistol barrels that are good shooters, a .223 and a .260, both of which are going to go down the road, as well as the pistol grip and forend for them, and a 2.5x8 Leupy EFR pistolscope. The frame with a nice 2.5 lb trigger job will also go down the road, but attached to a 24" Bergara .223 barrel, with synthetic stock and forend, all camoed except the frame.

Funds from the sale of these items, plus some stash I have if I need it, are going to go for a nice little .223 bolt gun and a rebarrel job for my Mark X in 7x57. That rifle deserves better than the barrel that is on it, caliber will remain the same, just better quality.

I'm not sure at this point what changes will come later, but I'm pretty sure this is where I want to start. I need to start looking around now for a nice trim little .223. Mainly it needs to be a real durable shooter, it's probably gonna get alot of use over the next 10 years. Suggestions anyone?

Posts: 417 | Location: TX panhandle | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I've come to pretty much the same conclusion about my Contenders that you've reached with your Encore. Interesting little guns, but I have better ones for virtually every use I currently participate in. So, they never get to the range or field anymore...
----------

As to a nice .223, I can think of a few...a Sako Vixen, for instance. Not cheap, maybe hard to find, but then you don't need one tomorrow. And they are sweet, classy rigs for a factory gun.

I don't know if Ruger made an RSI in .223, but if they did, that could be a nice little rig.

I know there was a mini-Mark X Mauser chambered for the .223 (or 7.62x39 too) which was a good, light little rig and can sometimes still be found as a used gun.

Personally, I have a TCR '83 in .223 which is a splendid little single shot. And I have a bunch of extra barrels for it in .243, 7-08, .30-06, 32-40, .225 Winchester, and a few other calibers, which is nice. It DOES get to the field once in a while when I can, so it's gonna stay here.

I do believe the Remington Model 7 was made in .223, and that is a good little field rig too.

Anyway, good luck in your search. Please let us all know what you decide on/find.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to look at the Browning A-Bolt.

I bought one used that is in like new condition. It's the first and only .223 I've owned. I have a custom 22-250 and just thought that I might also need a .223 so I could change guns to let the barrel cool on a hot prarie dog town.

The A-Bolt I bought has the BOSS system barrel tuner. I can't believe how easy it is to tune any load into a very accurate one. In less than 15 shots of tuning I was able to shoot a 5 shot ragged one hole group. It's the Medallion model.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
As to a nice .223, I can think of a few...a Sako Vixen, for instance. Not cheap, maybe hard to find, but then you don't need one tomorrow. And they are sweet, classy rigs for a factory gun.

Oh yes!!

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
You might want to look at the Browning A-Bolt.

I bought one used that is in like new condition. It's the first and only .223 I've owned. I have a custom 22-250 and just thought that I might also need a .223 so I could change guns to let the barrel cool on a hot prarie dog town.

The A-Bolt I bought has the BOSS system barrel tuner. I can't believe how easy it is to tune any load into a very accurate one. In less than 15 shots of tuning I was able to shoot a 5 shot ragged one hole group. It's the Medallion model.

Are you speaking of the Browning Micro-Medallion? I have one of those, and it is my "go to" varmint hunting rig. I've got lots (like 20 or so) .224" bore varmint rigs, from a custom Hornet to a couple of Swifts, and almost everything in between, but the Micro Medallion has become my primary field-use varminting rig. Mine also has the B.O.S.S. system, and the varmint-weight barrel, but it is still plenty light enough for field-carry use

It is a very nice, exceedingly accurate for a factory product, kind of gun. And by using it, I am not scratching up any of my nice little Sakos Smiler

It was also a nice little promotion by Browning to etch my initials in script on the bolt for free when I bought it, in about '97.

------------

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those sound like some good suggestions guys. My heavy varmit rifle is a Remington 40-XBKS Rangemaster in .220 Swift, but it's going to need a barrel sometime in the near future. I have a Interarms Mark-X in 7x57 that needs a new barrel also, it just hasn't ever been quite right since it was first put on. I really love that rifle though, it breaks my heart it doesn't shoot like it should, and it will get the barrel it deserves.

You know, it isn't that I don't like the Encore system, or anything like that. I just don't use it very much, especially the pistol barrels. I have been into bowhunting also the last 5 years or so, and I either pick up a rifle, or the bow. Not a pistol. Go figure. That 15" .260 is a hammer for big game though. And it shoots. When I first got it I shot some Remington factory 120's down it and it would put three of them into 1" to 1 1/2" real consistently at 200. I just flat never shoot it anymore.

Anyways, there is a gun show over in Elk City this weekend, I might go see if I can dump a few things off if I can get over there. Not sure how to price that stuff though, normally I am a buyer, not a seller. Maybe Bobby Tomek will chime in and give me some idea where to start at.

Posts: 417 | Location: TX panhandle | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna double post here because something just crossed my mind, but what about a Howa barreled action in a Boyds stock? The action would be around $400 and the stock $150, about $550 all done. I haven't ever used one, but have heard good things about them. Anyone have some experience with them?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTPinTX:
Suggestions anyone?

Yes. As this is the reloading forum, what's your reloading question?

Seems like this thread belongs in the smallbore category.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you speaking of the Browning Micro-Medallion? I have one of those, and it is my "go to" varmint hunting rig.

AC, I'm not sure if it's a Micro Medallion. Can you tell me, here it is:

Here's the 5 shots..........................

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm

Probably should have been in the smallbore forum, but since I don't normally visit that forum I didn't think of it, so its not. If you are a Mod, and it is causing a problem, then move it. If not, then just ignore it.

Nice rig there RCA, looks like it shoots good. I know they are supposed to work, but I just really don't care for the looks of the boss out on the end of the barrel. I don't know though, I might could get used to it if it really gave the ability to tune loads like they say. I'll have to keep it in mind. It's not an immediate decision since I have to sell some stuff first.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JTP, don't forget the CZ 527s. I have a varmint model in 223 and its just the thing for me. Even with the heavier barrel it only weighs about 7 lbs.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm gonna double post here because something just crossed my mind, but what about a Howa barreled action in a Boyds stock? The action would be around $400 and the stock $150, about $550 all done. I haven't ever used one, but have heard good things about them. Anyone have some experience with them?

If you are refering to the Howa action I have one in a round about way on a Weatherby Vanguard. It's a very good action that functions smoothly and flawlessly.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll tell you what JP, I'm pretty much sold on the BOSS. It's just amazing to see what the adjustments to the tuner result in on the paper. I really think I could shoot tighter groups than the one pictured there. That was the result of about 15 shots of tuning and a half hour. I stopped there because it was good (.3"), but if I spent more time tweaking I think it could be better.

Does anybody know if that gun is a Micro?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not super knowledgeable about all fecets of the different browning models, but I do not think that is a micro medallion, Maybe an a-bolt medallion or a micro hunter. To my recollection, the micro medallions are engraved on the left side of the receiver with the word "medallion". They had walnut stocks with contrasting fore-end tip and grip cap. The bolt also had a different configuration. Here is my browning micro medallion chambered in 7mm-08. It is a sub inch shooter and is deadly.
GWB

and a few more

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I think you're right. Mine has the "medallion" engraved on the receiver but it has a really heavy laminated stock with a wide target style forend. It's really a pretty heavy rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...First to go will probably be the whole Encore system. ... I need to start looking around now for a nice trim little .223. ...
Hey JTP, I did the exact same thing with my Contender and barrels - swapped them for a 223Rem. Mine is a 20" S&S M7 and I could not be happier. Consistent accuracy from day to day and month to month, which is just what I wanted.

I was a bit stunned when I removed the stock on a similar S&S M7 in 243Win for the first time - no Bedding Compound at all. I thought they must have somehow skipped a step and intended to call Remington about it. Then it dawned on me that I'd not shot it. With a good bit of skepticism, I tried it and the nice small groups convinced me nothing was wrong.

Same with the S&S M7 223Rem, no Bedding, but shoots great. Since it is already light weight, I've often wondered just how light weight Mr. Lex at "Rifles Inc." could actually make it.

Looks like a lot of good suggestions have already been made. Best of luck with whatever you decide to get.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey HC, a M7 is definitely on the list of things for me to think about. The SS would be under consideration also. How is the stock on that thing? Is it a good solid stock or one of those flimsy tupperware things? I do like Remingtons, could use another one in the stable. The M7 is light and short, both characteristics I am looking for. The scope I already have to go on it is black matte though. Of course I could get black rings, and have the stainless refinished with some type of black non-reflective finish. I need to look at the M7 more and see what all options are available. Good call though.

posted Hide Post
JTPinTX: I would be interrested in your Encore and barrels, if you make the decision to sell. jrs_wcp@msn.com

Even though I'm new here, you can check my feedback rating on GB jason.sewell

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
So many good bolts to choose from in 223.

So I went the other way--Wilson Super Sniper

One ragged less than a dime-size groups at 100yds routinely with various ammunition.

maybe not your idea of what you wanted, but I'M HAVING A HOOT.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/r_ss-15.asp

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey JTP, And now 220combat is ready to buy your Encore. Best of luck on a deal if you all can come to an agreement. thumb

quote:
Hey HC, a M7 is definitely on the list of things for me to think about. The SS would be under consideration also. How is the stock on that thing? Is it a good solid stock or one of those flimsy tupperware things?
nilly "Flimsy", injection molded, black, wiggly, compressable with your fingers, and it still shoots great. From normal "Rifle Logic 101", it should not shoot worth a clinton. But, for some reason both of my S&S M7s(same stock) just shoot fine for me, with no mods to their stocks. The only thing I did to them was clean the Bore and adjust the Triggers.

Using randomly picked, relatively inexpensive, Moly Coated, 50gr PLHP Remington bullets, my tired old eyes can usually flinch them in between the 5s and 8s for 3-shots. I don't know if I could do it right at this moment, but with a bit of practice they shoot fairly well.

My BBQ Load uses 50gr Nosler B-Tips and it shoots a bit better than the above. I've got some 50gr Berger Bullets that I need to get the Moly Coating on and try them out. I "expect" excellent accuracy from them. But as I mentioned, I need to get some much needed Trigger Time first.

quote:
I do like Remingtons, could use another one in the stable. The M7 is light and short, both characteristics I am looking for.[/quote}Me too. It is an excellent carry during the Off Season, or when walking around checking livestock and horses. That said, I'd guess some of the other ones mentioned would do just as well.

[quote]The scope I already have to go on it is black matte though. Of course I could get black rings, and have the stainless refinished with some type of black non-reflective finish. ...
Right at the moment I have a matte, 1" tube, 50mm 6.5-20x VeriX III on it that I move around when developing Loads. It is heavier than need be for the distance I'll shoot a 223Rem and I normally have a lighter scope on it. Just checked and with that Large Scope on it, the whole thing is 8 1/4#, with Burris Signature Rings.

So a lighter Scope and lighter Rings would help for a carry rifle. But I tend to move Scopes around a good bit and it has had a 40mm 3.5-10x VariX II on it most of the time. And I have a 33mm 3-9x EFR Leupold with Weaver 4x4 mounts to stick on it when the Berger Development is done.

With a bit of thinking and checking Scope Weights and picking some lightweight Rings, I'd guess a person could chop a pound off mine with very little effort.
-----

I like mine and plan to keep it around. However, if you are really going to pare down the armory, it might be worthwhile to consider a Custom of some sort. I keep thinking of Rifles, Inc, because I'd think Lex Weiberneck could make a rifle that is ultra lightweight, accurate as all get out, and something a person would never consider parting with. A Super-Duper Ultra-Light 223Rem would sure be difficult for me to go past when I'm headed outside.
----

Whatever you choose, I hope you get one that makes you as happy as my 223Rem M7 does me. thumb

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can never have too many guns-- especially with the the asshole we have in the White House today...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Homebrewer- Tell me about it! Ha. When it comes right down to it, no matter how much I bluster, I'm still having a hard time actually letting the darn things go. As of this moment, they are still lined up on my bench, nice and clean, with me standing over them thinking "Do I really want to do this?" The pistol barrels probably will go, but I'm having a real tough time with the frame and 24" .223 barrel. I mean, I could get something new and stand a very real chance of it not shooting any better.

HC, bad news. I can't see the M7 S/S on their website anymore, and when I called a few places looking for prices, they say that modle is no longer available. They have a M7 varmit model that looks real interesting, but that and the blue/walnut is all that is availalble.

I am really liking the looks of the CZ 527 American though. Ugly magazine hanging down, but the rest is pretty nice, and by all accounts should shoot. A true micro action with a weight of 6.2 lbs, with a 22" barrel. The carbine model has and 18.5" barrel and weighs 5.9 lbs.

Gotta get over the hump on selling off the Encore though. That is the first hurdle. I know it makes sense, just gotta get past the emotional part of it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey JTP, I had no idea they had quite making the S&S M7. Darn shame cause the ones I have are fine rifles.

The only bad thing I hear about CZ is they designed the Safety to work opposite of what I'm used to. I can see where the magazine extending beyond the stock would be an irritant when carrying it, but I've never held one, so that could be all wrong.

There are plenty of fine rifles being made today, I feel sure you will locate something you like. Even if you have to get a Blue one Coated.

Best of luck finding what you want.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The CZ 527 rifles are really hard to beat!

NRA Life member

Posts: 142 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did not get a 2009 Remington catalog, but I still have a 2008 and a 2007. No S&S M7s in either of them thumbdown

However the 2007 had a M700 LV SF, listed in 223Rem at 6 3/4#. Bell and Carson stock, blind magazine, 22" Fluted Barrel. The Order # is 26187 if you are interested. One of the Gun Wholesalers (like Elliott Bros) might still have one in stock that your local Gun Shop could check on.

They also made a M7 CDL version with a Laminated Stock, but it is so heavy you might as well get a M700.

Some of the Mountain Rifles have light weight, but are not made in 223Rem.

If you have some patience, I feel sure they will make the S&S M7s again, or you could get one from the Custom Shop. I have two of the Custom Shop rifles and they are simply excellent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey HC, is it all of the CZ safeties that are backwards, or just some models? I thought maybe it was just some of them, even though I couldn't tell you which ones. I will have to check on that though. I like that my Interarms, converted Mauser, and Remington all work the same way. The Winchester is a little different, but it is still forward to fire.

Anyone with a 527 care to comment on which way the safety operates?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Are you speaking of the Browning Micro-Medallion? I have one of those, and it is my "go to" varmint hunting rig.

AC, I'm not sure if it's a Micro Medallion. Can you tell me, here it is: Pictures deleted for reply...

Sorry, I can't tell you.

I have a "Micro-Medallion" .223 which looks exactly like yours. I know that's what mine is because I bought it NIB, and the box and paperwork all say Micro-Medallion.

I also have a Medallion .22-250 which fits the description of the sporter the other fellow mentioned that he thought was a Micro-Medallion. That is, it has a solid one-piece wood stock (rather than laminated), contrasting forend tip, and so on. I also bought it NIB and its paperwork, etc., just say "Medallion".

Here's where I really get confused:

1. BOTH my rifles are stamped "Medallion" on the left side of the action body, and

2. Both my rifles have exactly the same length actions from the back of the rear receiver ring to the front of the front receiver ring. I can't recall whether they are both 5 & 11/16th inches long, or 6 & 11/16 inches long, but just re-measured them yesterday and they ARE both the same length. And,

3. Both also came with the B.O.S.S. system although the .223 has a medium-heavy barrel weight and taper, while the .22-250 has a noticeably lighter "sporter" contour.

Anyway, your pictures answer the question I had asked as to whether yours is a "Medallion" or "Micro-Medallion" to my satisfaction. It is identical in appearance to my "Micro-Medallion".

Perhaps we ought to post a thread in the "small bore" forum asking if anyone there actually knows the differences between the two models?

BTW, I was wrong when I said that as part of a Browning promotion they engraved my initials on the bolt, free of charge when I bought my Micro-Medallion. It was not my initials, but my whole name, first and last. Still a nice touch, that. Wish all companies provided that option with all rifles. Would also be nice if they all put the rifle's SN on each bolt too....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey JTP, I have no first-hand experience, nor any first-hand knowledge concerning CZ firearms. I only remember reading about "some" Safety's working the opposite way on them, here at AR. Might be worth doing a "Find" on Medium Bores and Small Bores, or starting a thread about it.

Bored to the edge of breaking something today, because my original "Plan-of-the-Day" got obummer-canned. So, I did take the time to scan the latest Savage Catalog.

Have no idea if they would interest you at all. The new Accu-Stock appears to be something I'd like. Don't know about the new Accu-Trigger until I actually feel one. Should have done that a month ago and it slipped my mind.

Savage indicates they make a S&S in 223Rem that weighs 6.5#. It has the Accu Stock & Trigger.
-----

Hey AC, Do you use Browning Scope Bases and Rings on yours?

The reason I ask is a buddy of mine in Raleigh lost one of his rifles and replaced it with a Browning Titanium Mountain Rifle in 308Win. He got a new Illuminated Leupold to put on it and ordered Leupold Dual Dovetail Bases, and Burris Signature Rings for it.

As luck would have it, I'd spotted a thread by Ground Hog Devistation(Charlie) on the GunSmith Board which mentioned there was a problem using regular Browning Mountain Rifle "Bases" on their Titanium Model prior to my buddy getting his. Charlie said Browning had apparently changed the Receiver Dimension slightly(can't remember if it was Front or Rear) and just never bothered to tell anyone else who was making Bases for it.

So, my buddy calls me thinking he had a serious problem with his rifle because he had to use a couple of the Eccentric Inserts to get the rifle even onto the paper. I happend to remember Charlie's post and sent my buddy a Link. So, my buddy calls Leupold and they were still unaware of the problem. They said they would call him back and they did. Charlie had suggested using a different Base #, which my buddy mentioned to Leupold. Leupold confirmed Charlie was correct and sent my buddy new Bases at no cost.

That should have been the end of the story, but my buddy was still curious about "why" Browning had not mentioned it to anyone. So he calls Browning Cool and asks them if they are "aware" of the mis-match problem. clap

At this point in the story you have to imagine a person with a slight British accent and visualize him with his nose so high in the air that a light sprinkle would drownd him. And my buddy hears him say, "If, I repeat IF, you had used Browning Bases and Rings you would not have had a problem. Therefore, there is no problem." Big Grin

Not saying Browning is bad or anything like that at all. Just saying the folks that work for Browning have always fit that exact impression anytime I ever had to deal with them.

I can also visualize me using a hose-pipe to spray water in the air over a herd of them and watching them gasp for air like a fish out of water. animal

One of Us
Picture of br6ppc1
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Are you speaking of the Browning Micro-Medallion? I have one of those, and it is my "go to" varmint hunting rig

AC, I'm not sure if it's a Micro Medallion. Can you tell me, here it is:

No, that is not a Micro Medallion or a Micro Hunter. I have both in multiple cailbers. That is a A-bolt Eclipse Varmint. Your rifle is the same type and caliber of rifle that won the Browning Boss Shootout back in 2003 or 2004. THe rifle was offered in .223, 22-250 and 308. It was superseded by the M-1000 Eclipse rifle. I almost bought one of these, but I couldn't justify buying one when I had my Micro-Medallion in 223. My favorite of the Micros is my 22 Hornet. That rifle has killed untold numbers of varmints including 5 hogs. It's amazing what a head shot at 35-40 yards will do to a hog. I have a 223, 22 Hornet, 7mm-08 and a 284 win. The 284 win gets almost no use, I'm keeping it stashed. The 7mm-08 is my Dad's deer rifle I bought him to replace his 30/06. THe other 2 gets constant usage as everyday varmint guns.

By the way: Geedubya, nice rig you have. My Dad loves the 7mm-08 Micro Hunter I bought him. It's been a deadly deer rig for him.

Posts: 92 | Location: Eastman, GA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote