THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    I'm crushing .308 cases when bullet seating! Why?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm crushing .308 cases when bullet seating! Why?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Exit31
posted
I load for different calibers, but mostly 30-06 and 375 H&H and things generally go well, but when I reload .308 win cases I find that I sometimes crush the brass when bullet seating.

I try to do as per the die manufacture's( RCBS) instructions when reloading. The .308 win case neck is shorter than the 30-06 would this have anything to do with it? My bullets are both copper jackets and cast.

I can't figure this out. Has this happened to someone else? What gives? Thanks.

Why shall there not be patient confidence in the ultimate justice of the people? Is there any better or equal hope in the world? Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 599 | Location: Canada, NS | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe back the die out a turn. You may be hitting the crimp shoulder of die at the bottom of the stroke. If crushing at the top of the stroke, chamfer the case mouth. If you have done this already I`m not sure what is happening.

Posts: 34 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 18 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Exit31
posted Hide Post
Never thought about chamfering the case mouth. Thanks. Much appreciated. (Also will pay more attention as to when crushing occurs.)

Why shall there not be patient confidence in the ultimate justice of the people? Is there any better or equal hope in the world? Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 599 | Location: Canada, NS | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The other thing is to get a Lyman "M" die or an RCBS neck expander die for the calibers you shoot cast in. The die opens the case mouth just enough so you don't shave lead alloy when seating. An absolute necessity if you are going to shoot lead, in my estimation.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The guys have provided good advice. In my experience, the usual culprits are:
1. A seating die trying to apply too much crimp. This can be because the die is screwed in to deep or the case has expanded and needs to be trimmed.
2. The expander ball on your sizing die is worn out. Measure it or order a new one. You might be able to switch out the expander ball from your 06 die to determine is this is the problem.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 936 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You must chamfer your mouths; go back and read your basic loading manual.
You must use an M die if you are using cast bullets; no exception.
You can completely obviate any mouth crushing if you only use boat tail bullets.
Yes, check you expander ball and tell us what it measures, in OD.
If you mean crushing, when crimping, well, your crimp die is set too low.

Posts: 17190 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of that ^^ is right.

But just to add that in my experience crimping in a separate step is much better.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had that problem, barely and only occasionally, in a 270 WSM with Norma cases, which are sometimes a bit soft. Rather than turning the necks more, I got a Redding bushing die and the problem went away. I'm assuming that the expander nipple on the original die (Hornady)was a bit small.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 279 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had this happen with hornady dies. It was the expander being undersized. If your not mistakingly crimping while seating, I would contact rcbs and see if they'll send you a new expander for your die

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldVarify that your Overall case lengths are to spec. and uniform.Trim if needed.Chamfer ID. and OD.
Roll EyesTake .308 cases that have been resized and expand necks in your 06 dies which give you no problem as you attested.
WinkCarry on from there with a well adjusted seating die. Start by seating a bullet with NO Crimp. If you must crimp than after the first non crimped cartridge chambers, judiciously adjust the die to just crimp without case deformation . If that doesn't work I guess you're screwed. clap roger pissers

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
oldVarify that your Overall case lengths are to spec. and uniform.Trim if needed.Chamfer ID. and OD.
Roll EyesTake .308 cases that have been resized and expand necks in your 06 dies which give you no problem as you attested.
WinkCarry on from there with a well adjusted seating die. Start by seating a bullet with NO Crimp. If you must crimp than after the first non crimped cartridge chambers, judiciously adjust the die to just crimp without case deformation . If that doesn't work I guess you're screwed. clap roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Confused Have you had any results?? beerroger