New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes XLC
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Did anyone try the Barnes XLC in .223 REM or an other .224 caliber?
Are they as accurate as claimed?
Does the blue coating really make then shoot flatter?

Posts: 223 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Goedemorgen!

Say, again? Shoot flatter? Nope!

You might be able to gain about 10, maybe 20 m/s, but that is about all. Not enough to take to the bank.

I load them in my 223WSSM, and without much load up (okay, no load work up), the 53 grainers shoot about moa.

If I were to work up a load with new bullets, I'd go with the TSX version. They are far easier to work with, and have been more accurate in my guns. Great terminal performance in 7mm and 270.

Ik hoop dat dit een beetje zal helpen, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Before the TSX's came along, I had given up on Barnes bullets. The XLC's would not shoot in any of my rifles and I hated the way that blue stuff scraped off and clogged up my seating die.

Go with Dutch's suggestion and try the Triple Shocks.

Without guns we are subjects (or victims), with guns we are citizens

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote