Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Collet and Crimping Dies
 Login/Join

posted
Can anybody tell me if the RCBS X dies are a "collet" die in the same sense as the one produced by Lee? Do the RCBS dies need lube?

I am also interested whether the RCBS bullet seating die can crimp a bullet the same way the Lee crimping die can?

I have checked the RCBS website, and they seem a bit vague on both points..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The LEE Factory Crimp Die works on a totally different principle to the RCBS bullet seating die BUT I haven't had to buy dies for a while and make no claim to be up to date.

Posts: 336 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Pete, "no" on both counts. The X-die is a modified standard sizing die that has an adjustment to shorten the neck of the die. The Lee collet die has fingers that push from the outside in.

The lee factory crimp die is similarly different from a fixed seat/crimp die. Lee's design is much better. Plus they are so cheap, there is no excuse not to try them. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys,

I prefer RCBS?redding over Lee for most items, but i have been hearing some good reports for these two particular dies by Lee,

Regards,

Peter

[ 07-21-2003, 18:30: Message edited by: Pete E ]

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't waste my money on Lee Collet dies. The Factory crimp dies on the other hand seem worth it to me. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The lee collet dies are the best thing since sliced bread in my opinion. They load very straight ammo, require no lube, and don't work the brass nearly as much as a conventional die. It takes a little while to get the feel of how they work and how to use them, but once you understand how they work they're great.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The factory crimp dies by Lee work neat as hell. I wish they'd start making one in .416 Rigby as the only ones I crimp are big ones and leverguns.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Jstevens, you might want to inquire with Lee about a "custom" die. They do custom work at exceedingly reasonable prices. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote