New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet seating depth and RBCS precision mic
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am having a little trouble finding the correct seating depth in my 243. The RCBS precision mic which worked wonders in my Mauser was near useless due to the 700�s ejector spring. So to avoid pulling apart the bolt I did it my �old� way of splitting a case neck with a dremel and slightly seating a bullet, chambering and then measuring it. But alas, the bullet was jamming in the rifling and coming out of the case when extracting. Without the split neck the bullet stayed in the case but I don�t like doing it this way because you don�t know how far the bullet was jammed into the lands nor if it pulled back out slightly while extracting. Any thoughts on this?

Posts: 37 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Could you explain further why the spring-loaded 700 ejector is causing problems? I'm trying to visualize how this would affect the Precision Mic adversely, but can't see it.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Because the pressure required to push the nylon insert into the free bore tool case is less than that required to compress the ejector spring. Therefore the measurement you get is from the front of the ejector to the lands, instead of from the bolt face to the lands.

A brass case doesn�t have this problem as it headspaces on the shoulder then compresses the ejector spring.

Posts: 37 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I make a inert round champer it.Then ram the bolt home and lock it.Then put the inert round in the seating die,and adjust it.All my loaded rounds will have the bullet on the lands,where I want them.

Posts: 255 | Location: Wurtsboro,NY.USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Tighten up the hex screw under the nylon insert a bit. At any rate, I think when the Precision Mic "bullet" touches the lands, it all trues up, anyway.

Good luck,
RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For checking headspace and sizing die settings the RCBS PM is great...for finding the seating depth...not nearly accurate enough....go with the stoney point tool and modified cases for seating depth and you can get a "feel" for the pressure you are using with that tool.....then the Precison mic can be used to keep track of the loads and seating depths.......and experiment with the best seating depth...HTH..good luck and good shooting-loading!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote