Find
Notify
Tools

45 auto reloading problems
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bob da Builder
posted
So I loaded about 20 rounds of hornady XTP .451 230 grains, in some nickel caseings and 5 grains of unique. And when I tried to put one in the tube of my 1911 it didnt chamber all the way. So I got my glock out and it didnt fit in that either. Any ideas of what I did wrong.

"Do a good turn daily"
Eagle Scout, Troop 215

Posts: 31 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you might have not have pushed the resize die far enough down the case?
how many times has the brass been used?

what head stamp on the nickel?

Just some ideas.

D

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob da Builder:
So I loaded about 20 rounds of hornady XTP .451 230 grains, in some nickel caseings and 5 grains of unique. And when I tried to put one in the tube of my 1911 it didnt chamber all the way. So I got my glock out and it didnt fit in that either. Any ideas of what I did wrong.

Hard to say. Could be they are seated too far out. Could be the sizing die was not adjusted to resize down far enough. Could be they were shot out of another gun, maybe a Glock with a bulge.

I would start with OAL and compare that to SAAMI specs. SAAMI specs are online just Goggle it.

Factory Glock barrels normally have fairly generous chambers in them so again first check OAL.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
COL to long or need more taper crimp.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well looks everyone else has the same ideas.Remember that the .45 headspaces on the mouth.I would look at case length as well as bullet diameter.YES,I have had this happen before.A bad batch of bullets that miked .456 shut down the whole show.You could feed them manually into the case on the 650 but you could not chamber.Only an idea;good luck.

Posts: 4394 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
This can also happen if your crimp is turned down too much, then the case will crimp a little too soon and it will bulge the case.

The thing to do is to color a loaded cartridge with a sharpie marker and try to chamber it gently, then remove and see where the marker is scratched away.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a similar experience as Bob with Hornady 200gr XTPs in 45 Auto. With a taper crimp and seated to the OAL in the Hornady manual, they wouldn't chamber for anything in a Springfield 1911-A1 and had a couple of fails to chamber in a Glock 30. Will check the crimp and try chambering shorter (starter loads).

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nappers
posted Hide Post
What is your overall length?

My Hornady book calls for 1.275 I seat to 1.230 or (12:30 Lunch!) and they chamber fine in my Colt Commander and 1911A1 Government.

Try when you get it figured out 5.5 of W231, you'll love it.

====================
You know it's going to be a bad day when you crossthread the cap on the toothpaste

Posts: 31 | Location: No. California | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To get the Hornady XTPs to chamber in my pistols I had to seat the bullet so the start of the cone is flush with the case mouth. If any part of the cylindrical part of the bullet extended beyond the case mouth it would not chamber in my Kahr and was tight in my Ruger. Since this resulted in a deep seated bullet I reduced my full power charges a bit to compensate for the reduced case volume.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Ditto" on the comment from Mark. I run into this when loading auto pistol cases bearing different headstamps, as the case length varies enough that crimping is sometimes off enough to cause this.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you crimp a 45 Auto ??.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Id try a little more crimp. That will solve alot of feed problems.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also the case got bulged out when the bullet got seated. And the glock that I tried was a glock 30.

"Do a good turn daily"
Eagle Scout, Troop 215

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also the case got bulged out when the bullet got seated.

"Do a good turn daily"
Eagle Scout, Troop 215

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you should try a Lee Factory Crimp die for the 45. It will make certain the round isn't too large in diameter to chamber as it will resize the case to correct diameter as well as crimp. I like it for semi autos but usually don't use one for cast bullets in revolvers.

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Even better would be to run them through the Lee "Bulge Buster" - used in conjunction with their factory crimp die body; runs the case COMPLETELY through the die, eliminating any bulges. Neat feature is that it can also be used with LOADED rounds safely...

Bud

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also the case got bulged out when the bullet got seated. And the glock that I tried was a glock 30.

My first guess is overcrimping. If you are crimping and seating in the same step it's easy to do. Check the set up instructions on your die. If you have questions or problems come on back.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote