Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forester BR Powder Measure - for small volumes
 Login/Join

posted
I was considering a Forester Bench Rest Powder Measure for use on my 22Hornet loads .I currently load 13 gr of AA1680 and am weighing each charge . I would like to drop these loads and was looking for an accurate measure that wouldn't break the bank.I have no experience with Forester equipment but have heard it's usually of good quality .This measure will be dedicated to Hornets and once set will not be adjusted.I was hopeing one of you guys that has this measure could share your thoughts .

Posts: 8 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 08 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dino32HR
posted Hide Post
Ramjet,

I don't use 1680, but I do use a Lee Perfect Powder Measure for load development because of it's ability for fine adjustments. If you are going to dedicate a powder measure to a specific caliber and don't want to break the bank, I would very much recommend the Lee.

I use it for Titegroup, H4227, H4295, W231, W296, AA2, 5 & 7. It meters very accuratly and repeatedly for all those powders. If 1680 is similar to any of these powders, the Lee should be a slam-dunk choice.

I use a Lee Auto-Disk or RCBS Uniflow (depending on the powder or volume) for my "production" runs.

Posts: 243 | Location: Northeast OH | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ramjet, I have used a forester bench rest measurer for a number of years. I find it very accurate. I have used about every powder type in it including aa 1680 and find it fuctions well. It does take a little tinkering to adjust though with the sliding venier type adjuster.

Posts: 41 | Location: shawnee, ks. usa | Registered: 03 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Drichi ,repeatability with volumes around 10 - 13 grains of a very fine ball powder is what I'm looking for .A few 10ths of a grain on a Hornet makes a difference.I was wondering if the vernier screw had fine enough movement to adjust the load a few 10ths.I don't mind playing with it , I just want to know I have very fine adjustment .

Posts: 8 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 08 November 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dino32HR , I also use both the powder measures you mention . The disc I use on pistols and the Perfect I use on 444 with H4198(about the size of mouse dropings). Both give good service . I load .223, .243 ,30- 30 ,444 ,22Hornet,357 and 44mag .I load more hornets than anything and am trying to get away from the tedium of weighing each charge .I have a 300 Weatherby mag under construction and will probably be loading for this in the fall.